1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a Raccoon

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jimbo72, Dec 4, 2013.

1. I am going to make an attempt at mounting a raccoon. Its a 22 lb dark black (not a fisher coon) bore.I was wondering if I could get some input on what chemicals I would need for it. Type of degreaser, cleaning agents and what not to prep the hide to tan. What way would you recommend to tan the hide. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Howie

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

So basically ,,, you want us to tell you everything it sounds like. Did you find the search box up above to the archive that is full of answers to every question ever asked about taxidermy?

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Purchasing a dvd on mounting coons and some dvd's on tanning will answer all your questions. If you still have questions, the archives should cover those. If you still have questions, then ask away. Right now you have some homework and studying to do.

4. Glad for you that you mentioned "degreaser" in there. You'll need it. My first coon, I thought I could get by without a degreaser.. no, just no.

5. Well no I didn't want you to tell me word for word on what I need. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on stuff I don't need. I have second nature , WASCO, van dykes and Jonas catalogs and needless to say there are quit a few different degreasing types and a few different ways to tan. I have krowtann 2000 now. I was seeing if anyone recommends it. I read kemsol will work for degreaser but you look in WASCO it's the cheapest. So does it work as well as knobloch's I don't know. And yes I do use the search box, I use YouTube and I have dvd's and VHS videos to watch and a DVD on tanning with lutan f. It's not like I am asking you to mount it for me. Maybe I should of reworded my question so it was a little more clearer.