1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

going green.........

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by bowerbird, Dec 5, 2013.

1. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Our solar ststem on top of the" work shed",, all 10 kw,,

Attached Files:

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

What did this set you back? I looked into this years ago. By time you bought the panels, batteries and converter it was cost prohibitive. It would take me over twelve years to recover the investment. That is assuming the system did not need any repairs in that time slot.

3. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

After the rebate all up around 12 1/2 grand, my power bill at the moment is running at close to 3 grand PA. So in
    around 4 years it will realize cost neutral. Panels are assured a 15 year life, and it is a grid feed system, no gell batteries which I am advised are expensive . It should generate a surplus credit , will keep you in tune.

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

What about............

What about hail storm protection?

:)

Kerby...

5. Franklin

Franklin Guest

Wonder where the "rebate" came from?

I looked into panels for emergency purposes and I could not get the numbers to work. It was more like 20-30 years, also you can make a whole lot of money with that kind of capital now.

6. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

This is in Australia where rebates exist for installation of renewable energy.
    As for hail storms we have had doozies,, wiped of thousands of cars in our city in one storm 4years back , but never heard about panel destruction. Our power cost is running at around 28c per kwh,,,,

7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Can you put a rider on your shop insurance? I would look into that for hail damage.

8. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

I've got hundreds of solar panels in operation around the state, several more in Tn and PA. In the last ten years (that's how long I've had them out) I've never lost one to hail, I've had a couple struck by lightening and a few stolen, replaced a few that went bad. But all in all, they are tough little suckers .

9. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Just an update to the solar system we installed at our factory. As to be expected, the power companies dragged there feet hooking the system to the grid and then crediting any surplus feed in tariffs, so today I have the results of a full month of electricity including the feed in we generated
    Previously our bills were 280 plus a month ,, and that was with me running around turning off lights in areas not being used and holding off on the air conditioner during summer. We run seven freezers, mercury vapour lamps overhead and bench lighting , tv upstairs and all the basic tools , tumblers and fleshers.

Today the first 30 day feed bill came, and the net amount was $ 32.80..
    That included a GST component which I claim back of $10.10 for credits to the surplus electricity feed I generated and fed back into the grid.
    Hence its a bill of 22.70

Taking into the figure of "Line supply" (even if you don't use power you pay this supply fee from the road to the premises) of $1.48 per day, or a total of 41.71 for the period, which was also in that bill.
    So in terms of power use, I generated a surplus of $19.01

At the recommendation of the electrician, I have turned the electric hot water system off ,,as he said, when you need hot water, boil a jug... so I expect more savings
    I predict next bill should be zero, now that we are past the 40 c days of last month.
    It does work.

10. Thats great but how much money did you spend on the setup to save a few dollars?

11. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

All up 14 grand after the rebates, which my accountant will depreciate over 3 years and claim back on tax.
    My power bill at over 800 a quarter would be well over the 3 and a half grand mark P.A. as of now. So l calculate after 4 years they will have paid for themselves,,5 years if you include interest.
    after that, its free power, and since we own the factory, I see it as a long term investment, even if we move into some other field.
    They are guaranteed for 20 years.