1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mannikin?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by turkeyshooter, Dec 6, 2013.

1. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

I am really new at this. Neighbor brought me by his eight point. cut it too far up the middle. Buck shot in the neck. Georgia deer, hair is short. I measured it (measurement C was 18", measurement A was 7". He wants just a neck mount. I ordered one & I caped it out the tube method. I cannot get that skin over the mannikins head. I don't have one of those cape stretchers. What mannikin would you order for this deer? After tanning he measures about 14" (7" inches straight in behind the head with cape folded in half. I cannot figure out how to stretch this thing. The first one I mounted I ordered a cape to fit the mannikin for practice. I have been watching the videos on mounting deer heads, but most do not cover this area very much. They usually go right from tanning to putting the cape on the mannikin. Please advise. Thanks in advance for any advice. Right now I just cannot afford to attend any classes on the subject. Hopefully soon! I appreciate your help!

2. Craig74

Craig74 New Member

did you tan it?

3. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Just assuming here, since we don't have the full story. But did you home tan it? If you did, sounds like the hides too thick, you'll need to shave it down, thin it. Once you do it should let back out.

4. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Yes I did home tan it. With EZ-100. But I found a note in the beginners column where George says you can put an inner tube from a lawn mower tire in it and inflate it to get some stretch. Sounds like it would work. But while we are on the subject of shaving, I know some of you have come up with something to get by with when you could not afford a fleshing machine. I do have access to an air compressor. Could you use a cut off disc real carefully to shave it thinner or is it to hard to get it even? Just thinking. Right now I am a really poor fella. I have seen a couple videos where some old timers make it look easy using a sharp knife. But most of them were using the tanning cream right after fleshing.

5. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Get you a skife knife. You can order it from one of the taxidermy supplyers, or maybe a leather supply store if you have one close. A knife and a few blade should be around 20.00. Search on here or YouTube on how to use it. It'll be slow, but it's cheap.

6. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Thanks Donnie C I will check that out & try that. I appreciate all the help from everyone!