1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

color wheel for fish painting

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by mark c, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Im reading Tom Sexton book on fish finishing . The chapter was about the color wheel and Im wondering dose anyone know If they make one just for fish . I could really use one as my memory is poor from meds. I take every day. This is real ggod infromation and would go a very long way in my shop .. Thanks mark c

2. trky

trky New Member

Re: color wheel for fish painting

Any hobby shop has color wheels. As far as I know they do not make one just for fish.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. I saw some on ebay they look cool. I just hoping with transparents and incandescents there would be something for wildlife . Been intresting this book I'm glad I'm reading it thanks anyway mark c

4. den007

den007 Active Member

Mark, you have many questions and are on the right track with the Sexton books. Realize there is a learning curve here, and you are not going to figure this all out overnight. It will take hundreds of hours of practice to really master that color wheel, mixing iridescent metallics, tipping scales, getting ultra fine details from an airbrush, etc…..and realizing that bass are not just green, black, and white. Trial and error is a hard teacher, but you have many more benefits with the books and videos out there than most of us ever had. If you want to do a bass quick and easy……with DVD's , PM me and you might be pleasantly surprised.

5. PM sent

6. A color wheel is a color wheel using primary colors. You might think about a beginner art class at a local community college, to learn how to use it.

Here is a very basic idea of how they work.
    http://www.color-wheel-artist.com/
    http://www.color-wheel-artist.com/basic-color-wheel.html

7. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Mark I don't get on here to often however I think your topic is such an important one and there has been some good advice given form some very experienced folks on this subject matter!
    Mark you are on the right track and nothing is more rewarding them learning and fro the sounds of it you are passionate about this aspect of learning! Good for you as this will be a great journey for you and it never ends that is the best part of it. I have been painting for over 30 years and I still love that fact that I can learn so many new things! My 2 cents if you can take a class on water color painting as this is a great way to learn how to blend and learn the Hue spectrum. I have a color shell also at my painting area and each an every student here gets a 1/2 a day of the theory of color which from feed back its one of the highlights of the workshop. Once you get the basics Primaries colors, secondary colors and how to work with tertiary color all work with your fish work. Think abut this for a moment. Your computer printer works for the basic format of the 5 primary colors, Black, red, blue, yellow and white paper yet there is not one drop of purple, or green, or chrome for that matter yet the printer spits out a great reference photo that I still wish that I could paint as well as my printer!

It is a great journey learning taxidermy and can be personally and professionally rewarding! I wish you only the best in your education and for your journey in taxidermy!

My Best

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry
    312 Chesterfield Road
    Hinsdale New Hampshire 03451
    603-336-7296
    [email protected]
    www.anglersartistry.com/store
    Check us out on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Thanks Mark! As Rick said, it is much more satisfying to be able to mix a few colors to get the rest. I think we all buy way too much paint. I have not bought flesh for a long time. It is so easy to mix. Ditto for violet, oranges and a number of others. Transparents are the fun ones ! I love blasting a too green fish with gold toner and watching it melt that excessive green away.I am in awe of flat artists that get funky metallics and gold chains on their subjects without ever having metallic paint on the palette.

9. brelo

brelo Winchester

Thanks Marc, this is a great question!
    If you get one from ebay or a hobby store let me know if you like it. I have been wanting to buy one.

ALSO, Thanks John for the links to the Color Wheel Artist.

Thanks for all of the other responces!!!
    Dave

10. Not that I'm complaining but !! Every time I start something new like fish I seem to get more of the other work in instead . But I'm still studying fish in the hopes I get some free time soon . I will be shopping for a wheel this sat. so if I find one that is usefull ill be glad to share the place and cost . I don't have a printer anymore so I did save the sight to down load latter . Thanks for the link . mark c

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Take John's advice on taking an intro Art class. A color wheel isn't going to help you if you don't know how to use it. Plus, anybody making a living in the Art world should have basic Artistic knowledge beyond just trying to replicate colors. Everybody on this website SHOULD have at least a Drawing and Painting course under their belts. Preferably more than that. A color wheel is simply a tool to help achieve an end result. An Intro Art course will go over the color wheel and mixing and shading amongst many other things that you didn't know you needed to know...

12. An art class sound's like fun , The biggest problem is having to drive 50-60 miles to get to one . Its a long way to civilization and I'm just not able to drive like that its a great Idea tho . Ill figure something out even if I have to go to the old folks home . The color wheel will at least give me a working Idea and I'm sure there will be some instruction involved somewhere . Thanks mark c

13. Perk

Perk Deuce, My grouse dog

Get yourself a copy of the book COLOR by Betty Edwards. You can buy a used copy pretty cheap on Amazon. It helped me a lot.

14. Ill talk to mrs claws andsee if shewill get it thanks