1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

sealling a skin mount?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Leroy22, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

is laquer(spray can) ok for sealling a skin mount? i useually read abought useing poly but i also do woodwork and useually have laquer around the shop. ive used it several times and it seems fine to me but i would really like to hear from people who know for sure.

2. trky

trky New Member

I use shellac.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. Lacquer spray is fine, experiment with thinner to get it thinned enough. Sealing with lacquer is fine, Just make sure the seal coat is dry before application of any water borne colors.

4. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

Thank you for confirming laquer is fine. i useually have it around.

Leroy

5. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

are your using the lacquer in place of fungical sealer?

6. axel

axel Member

I use shellac. Haven't used fungical sealer in over five years.

7. are your using the lacquer in place of fungical sealer?
    [/quote]

I would like to know why your needing the fungical sealer ? If your skin has been cleaned and is oil free it seems to me is ready for the painting . Do you always need it ? and whats the advantage ? seems like a good question for a beginner mark c

8. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

That is what I was taught by Trails end taxidermy school. That's the only reason for me getting a large bottle, other than I use it on deer mounts.

9. I have mounts that are 20 years old that were sealed with lacquer. I cannot remember thae last time I bought any fungicidal sealer.

I like lacquer as it does not go on as heavy as shellac. But I will say I do sometimes use shellac. I like the KRYLON MATTE finish also for mid coat. Something bout using the Matte ofrmis coat really makes the paint pop when glossed.

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Ask..........

Ask the taxidermy suppliers what "fungicidal sealer" is lol!

:)

Kerby...

11. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Could sound like any and like newer people coming into this bizz. Is getting up the backend. What other little secrets are there other than Hang a sign for taxidermy then farm out every thing? Never lay a hand on a replica, other than to unpack it and hand it over to the poor knucklehead that asked you to do it. Buy the mounts anglers artistry, mark up the price $1.00 per inch and take all the credit for some other guys hard work. Is that what a real taxidermist is to do? Or am I off base?

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I would like to know why your needing the fungical sealer ? If your skin has been cleaned and is oil free it seems to me is ready for the painting . Do you always need it ? and whats the advantage ? seems like a good question for a beginner mark c
    [/quote]

Mark c, The sealer is like the foundation of the paint job. It prepares the surface to accept the paint evenly. I do not use a fungicidal sealer specifically, but I do seal every fish prior to painting.

13. Kerby Ross

There isn't............

There isn't such a thing as Fungacidal Sealer .... it is just a marketing ploy by the suppliers.................

It is just a sealant .... pure and simple....

Kerby...

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes Kerby, I am aware of that. They all are actually. Mold forms and grows on organic material when the temperature and moisture content is to their liking. By sealing a fish with any sealer helps to keep it in check. I know when I paint fish or anything, I do not put a continuous coat of paint on it but I do when I seal it.

15. Kerby Ross

Relax.......

It was jigginjim "are your using the lacquer in place of fungical sealer?"

Kerby...

16. What????