1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Forms for mature short faced deer?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Texas 1, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Texas 1

Texas 1 New Member

I have been doing taxidermy for about 5 years now and I have been pretty pleased with my work. However some deer that look pretty mature when they come in don't have the same mature appearance when they leave the shop. I was just curious if it was the form i was using or my work or a combination of the two . The bucks have a face of a mature buck and the eye to nose measurement is only about 6 3/4. I was curios as to what forms are people using to keep this mature buck look. Thanks.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Any of them work. Order the neck size and cut the muzzle if it's over 1/4inch.

3. Texas 1

Texas 1 New Member

Thank you for the reply. However I am talking about the width of the muzzle. It seems the forms in that size have a narrow muzzle. I know how to extend the muzzle. I was just curios if there are any out there with a broader muzzle. Is there any alterations to teh form to make it broader?Or is building up the muzle the answer?

4. Texas 1

Texas 1 New Member

Sorry George, I beleive I missunderstood you. If you were talking about cutting the muzzle vertically(between the nostrils, toward the eyes) , How far up do you cut? Do you just fill in with 2 part foam?

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I split mine to the lachrymal gland just to ensure the foam doesn't snap.

6. Check out the Lancaster whitetail forms by Research they have wide faces

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Ohio taxidermy Supply forms have a nice full width heads as do Revolution forms. Or you can just wedge them out a little as George said. Not all forms are the same as deer are not the same either. I don't think any of my customers would question wether or not their deers face was mature or bigger looking then when they brought it in. As long as it looks good and he has his antlers, its all good.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree with Bill's forms. They have a nice wide brow and for the shorter muzzle, simply order the neck size you need and cut the muzzle length down.