1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Website design FROM SOMEONE WHO I CAN ACTUALLY GET A HOLD OF.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Todd B, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Thanks,i have found the one thing customers or anyone likes most is the photos,and the way those work is really nice.

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

www.kernwildlifetaxidermy.com

3. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

I too have been trying to get ahold of Jason! For months now. I moved and I KNOW for sure I have lost business due to my website not be able to be updated with my new info! I've had him be my web guy for a number of years and NEVER had a problem before. In fact I was one of the first bunch here at taxinet to have him design and host a website for taxidermists.

I really don't have money to start over with a new site builder! I don't know why it is so hard to change an address, a ph # and remove the directions posted? He says his emails all go to a spam folder? Does he never check it? Why can't a computer geek like him fix that problem?

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need to start over. When Ed designed mine, that was a concern of mine. He said you own the site. You just need to hire someone else, then contact the host and get the username and password if you don't already have it and then you can just turn it over to your new guy. I know this is at least possible because once my site got hacked and I was the one who had to recover the password and stuff and give them to Ed so he could reset the page.

5. My website was designed so I control the galleries of pictures. I can add, delete and edit all the pictures in the galleries. If I need to update prices and other stuff I have to make a call and it's normally updated during that conversation.

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I do my own and a few others. I use doteasy.com for hosting which has a website building program now (I think) but I use Dreamweaver and Easy Web Gallery for building.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

The problem I see with a LOT of small web design services is they have high hopes of landing hundreds of clients and living happily ever after off of the hosting fees. Well, the problem is they get stuck at that 30-60 sites mark (if they're lucky) and they can't make a living on that. They need hundreds of clients to be full-time and/or make it worth their efforts. So, it's part time work. And it's constant interruptions to update a site on the clients time frame. Have you ever tried getting stuff done in your shop with constant interruptions? It's simply not cost-effective to offer such a quick turnaround with so few clients. The bigger services can do better at response time because they have enough clients to make it worth their while to update three or four sites at once. Plus, the small guys/gals get burned out! They realize that it's not all it's cracked up to be. If you can build your own site that's great. But, a lot of those template programs offer up pretty generic websites. Still, you're in control and quite honestly I don't think it matters much if your site is generic as long as it looks professional and communicates to potential clients what you do and what separates you from the rest. The big reason(s) I chose not to attempt it myself was first - time. It's very time consuming to design a website AND learn the software! And secondly, the less involvement I have, the better! I can write-off designers fees. I cannot write-off the mega hours it would take me to do it myself! That time I will never recoup. I also opted away from the taxidermy site designers for something different. Another consideration is the use of handheld devices in today's world. I suspect the template building sites have considered this. But, I certainly don't want to be making those types of decisions and would rather leave it to the professionals! Remember when every web designer thought Flash was the bomb?!?!? LOL!

8. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Good post Marty. I agree. The first site I had made for our company in 2003 cost around $6000. Worth every penny with the amount of work we got from it.

My Brother, Austin works for us here full time as a taxidermist, but he also has training in web development with an emphasis on Mobile Design. We decided to invest in the software and computer systems to do our own site. Not inexpensive by any means , but it opened up my eyes to what can be done.

The trend right now is towards Mobile sites that can easily be updated by the site owner.

If anyone is interested, Austin does offer web design and development services. You can check out his work here : www.ajstehlingco.com

9. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I have used www.EzPics.com for several years. They specialize in artists web sites. Worth every cent. Www.jamesmarsico.com I can make lots of minor changes and photo uploads myself and never have had a issue contacting Dale Simmons .

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Very true Marty. I only do mine and a few friends' because I enjoy doing it, more of a hobby than a business for me. I think if I were to have enough clients to make it a business, I'd burn out real quick, LOL.

11. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Just an update for Nuttyhost clients. I finally got a hold of Jason by calling his 1-800 number and got a real person on one of the extensions and got transferred to him. I spoke with him and told him the problem I have with the service. I am not website savvy and I know the price I am paying is very reasonable. He is willing to help me transfer my domain info to another service if that is my decision to do so. Just wanted you all to know I did get in touch and spoke with him personally. If anyone who has his service is trying to contact him try his 800 number as he says he does not come on here.

12. adikardelen

adikardelen New Member

I had a similar situation a while back and somebody referred me to this company called free website guys and they designed my website for free, only had to pay $45 for a year of hosting. You can check them out if you don't end up getting a reply soon. Good luck