1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #49

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by igor, Dec 17, 2013.

1. igor

igor Member

Good evening everyone. I am soooo sorry for late post. Crazy morning became crazy day, then it was a crazy night. It is Monday! ;) Matt called me to remind ! Yesterday I remember and this morning forgot...

We had two great weeks with Braz. Now it is my time to host BOTW. I really hope to see as many of your work as you can...

My last hosting I told a short story how I started my taxidermy... Here is some continuation ... After I learned from one student of Biology department how to skin a bird I wanted to learn how to mount it. I got one bird !!!! Instead of going to school ( I told my mom I went ) I took a bus to the museum on natural history, found a taxidermist and asked him to teach me... My bird landed into a trash can because he did not want to waste his time and said that the specimen was rotten ( hahaha, I caught that sparrow one night before and placed in my frizzier right after death). I was so disappointed and almost cried.
    A new decision was made : no school next day too! In the morning I took some tools, longnose, screwdriver and went to the museum again, right to the exhibition hall. I opened one cabinet... grabbed one bird... put it in my bag and run away. I run to a big city park where I teared that mount apart to find out how it was made... ;D
    Years after I was a taxidermist in that museum , a chief of the department of Zoology and fully compensated what I took from there when I was a kid.

Hmm, this week ...I would like to offer you to post this week any challenging birds you made : pinfeathered, badly shot or after poor necropsy, new species for you, your first birds, salted skins ... there are so many challenging situations in bird taxidermy. No matter how good or bad your mount is, salvaging is matter... Sure any mounts are welcome too.

Have a great week everyone. Lets have some fun :)

2. igor

igor Member

I will start this week with salted birds I brought from Ghana. Most of them will go to dioramas , so no bases are needed.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attached Files:

3. igor

igor Member

Sorry , I am using my phone again :(((

Attached Files:

4. igor

igor Member

Sorry for repetition

Attached Files:

5. igor

igor Member

Attached Files:

6. Igor, great story, and great start to BOTW! Amazing work as always.

7. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

Sharptail:

Attached Files:

8. These two WEREN'T shot up or pin feathered. A nice change.

Attached Files:

9. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    One from me today :)Fantastic start week igor!
    [​IMG]

10. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Yet to do one that wasn't pin feathered.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filvous are even worse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the worst are the Mexican mallards. They seem to be in a constant state of moult.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did this guy last weekend. He was too unique to trash. We call these poom-puffs. Full load of #2s at 15 yds. 6 pellets in the head, 20+ in the body, both wings and Both leg bones gone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. FF/Birdman

FF/Birdman Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. This was my first tree duck that I had a chance to mount. Yes as most are, this one was full of pin feathers but I think it came out rather well after a lot of grooming and attention. I hope we have another great week of posts here at BOTW, Paul.

[​IMG]

12. Bwpyle

Bwpyle New Member

Woodrow from this past weekend
    [​IMG]

13. igor

igor Member

Thank you all for today's contribution! Awesome birds! Cheri, your work is always pleasant for my eyes... waiting to see more of your birds. Rustax, your are talented man. Love your owls, hawks and capers... Braz and Birdman, your birds are not just a salvage ( what can be expected from these awfully pinfeathered skins), they are looking great. O'Hare and Bwpyle, your mounts are sweeeeet.
    Keep them coming

14. igor

igor Member

Herons... They are always a challenge to me. And salted ones can be a nightmare . Every time after one is finished , I think " great!!! See ya next time" . But they are fun to do. Bitterns are much easier .
    Great blue from frozen specimen , Squacco and Reef egret from salted skins.

Attached Files:

15. CR

CR New Member

Love all your work guys, love the woody bwpyle

16. teal1

teal1 Active Member

here is one iam working on

Attached Files:

17. another Mallard/Pintail cross. They are soooo pretty!

Attached Files:

18. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    X2 Birdstuffer! that bird makes me jealous, good job on it looks great

19. robolson

robolson www.frozeninflight.com

Incredible work everyone! My customer crippled this little Cackler, then stomped on its head with his boot to kill it. The head looked like Edward Scissorhands juggled with it. I had to come up with an accommodating pose to hide the "situation".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Love that mallard/pinny! Nice save on the cackler! I'll throw a turkey in the mix[​IMG]