1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #49

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by igor, Dec 17, 2013.

1. snowhare

snowhare New Member

puffin

Attached Files:

2. wings II

wings II New Member

That Puffin is Sweet. Thanks for posting it up. 8)

3. Samson

Samson New Member

Did someone say Puffin? ;D
    I did one many years ago, it was freezerburned badly (was 16 years in the freezer) the fat was very hard and soo sticky :eek: It came out not so good, but better than throw it in the trash I think ;)
    Greetings, Karin

Attached Files:

4. Matt, your occelated sucks.........NOT! The opportunity to work on one (although you can keep the salted skin) must have been cool?!

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Here's another puffin for you KMA. I had a tough time finding reference for what they look like during the winter, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do ...
    I've never had my hands on one that was in its pretty plumage.
    [​IMG]

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very nice nancy

7. igor

igor Member

Leaf-art, it was a challenge work. All birds are difficult. Right on.
    Great gallery of puffins, my friends. I recently mounted some puffins, auklets and murellets and looked for my pictures... No luck :)))
    Matt, I could not believe that it was salted skin, extraordinary grooming
    Ok, then cormorants ... :)

Keep your birds coming !

Attached Files:

8. igor

igor Member

And something else :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attached Files:

9. babak

babak Active Member

hello my friends all around the world,

great mounts as always from you all.here is mine for current week!needs smoothness in feathers specially legs roots.sorry for rudeness,although this thread is critique free,i need to know what's wrong with my stuff and critiques are welcome in PM.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Babak,
    I think it looks perfect.Good job my friend! :D

11. babak

babak Active Member

thank you so much birdstuffer for you compliment,but i have long way to perfection !!my father liked it very much and took some photos by his phone,it happened for the first time,i think the bird is beautiful itself! ;) :D ;D

12. JBird

JBird Member

Igor - what you do with salted skins is just astonishing - what you do with necropsy birds is even more astounding - and what you do with an actual fresh whole bird - well - I have no words. Igor the magician is right ;o) love the pictures this week - I have nothing new to post but going along with the theme here are a few that seem to fit in

Igor - on a side note - I've been collecting andean condor primaries (gifted of course and from captive birds) and have enough for full set of wings and tail - I want to use an indian sarus crane as the "base" for a recreation - but have been trying to find out the wing bone length's of a condor in comparison to a sarus - from what I can tell they are VERY close its just that the condor's primaries are about twice as long - I don't suppose you have measurements do you? (your mount of the california condor is simply breathtaking)

this is many years old and was one of my first attempts to take a decades old study skin and rehydrate it into a full mount - could have been worse could have been MUCH better - but I certainly learned a lot about already preserved and dried skin - OY

[​IMG]

Love your hornbills igor - hadn't even heard of brown cheeked hornbills before - here's a silver cheeked
    [​IMG]

first pelican I ever attempted - an african great white - MASSIVE creatures - again - learned a lot on this one - fun - but crazy stinky
    [​IMG]

the before and after on another recent "re-mount"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is one I posted recently but not the "before" another full remount
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

one last before and after - again another repeat
    super old study skin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

one more "re-mount" don't have a before though -
    [​IMG]

AlpineValleyTaxidermy likes this.
  13. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Pretty impressive stuff everyone !!!

14. ludvik

ludvik beginner taxidermist :-)

WOW amazing birds !!!!! :eek:
    it has not been much taxi work on me latly. but when my teacher some have learned me to where i am today so do i most post that i have :D
    i am sorry for it is not much finnish photos then but it looks like it is okey this time :)

Attached Files:

15. ludvik

eider

Attached Files:

16. ludvik

tawny owl

Attached Files:

17. ludvik

Golden Pheasant