1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New to the small game game...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Fogelberg Fan, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Season's greetings from Wisconsin to all who stuff more than the stockings hanging from the mantle. Since the D.N.R. has nearly completed it's crusade to eradicate the whitetail from our state's landscape. I find myself with idle time on my hands as far as taxidermy is concerned. Deer are all that I have ever done but I figure if I want to keep playing with dead stuff I had better broaden my horizon. A guy gave me a whole badger that I am going to try. I have a D.V.D. that shows how to do a raccoon. My question is. Is this video going to provide enough information to successfully mount the badger or should I seek other information before I start it? And do you feel that there is a great deal more involved in doing a whole body small mammal than just a shoulder mount of a deer. It appears to me that there would be. I can't even imagine doing a bird or a fish. Kudos to all of you who are proficient in all aspects of the trade. I am awed by the work that you folks post on here. Oh and one more question. Can any of my deer gear be used for the badger? Can I use a pair of Joe Meder 32 mm deer eyes if I want him to have an alert look? Thanks...

2. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    32 mm might be a lil too small I would go 36 mm. You better check those ref pics a little bit closer.
    Just like they say in football. C'mon man. Lol

3. nehunter88

nehunter88 New Member

Now I'm fairly new here, which means I'm probably the last guy that should say anything on this subject. But it seems to me the badger forms I've looked at, since I'm thinking of doing one myself, pretty much all called for a 12mm eye. If this is accurate I'm thinking that 32mm eye would give him a real wide eyed look for sure.

But like I said I'm pretty new to this full body stuff, so I may be way off base.

4. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    No you cant use a 32 mm joe medor eye on a badger. Lets think about this for a second. If the form calls for a 12mm bubble eye what makes you think going 3 times the size will be ok. Just like mounting deer if it it calls for a 32 mm you wont be using a 96mm eye would you.

5. AND,,, Keep in mind that a small mount, say a fox, is going to be just as much work as a deer shoulder mount. Sometimes more depending on pose, habitat, etc. So watch that you don't sell yourself short. Just because its smaller doesn't make it cheaper.

6. I was just kidding about the deer eyes folks...

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Glad u were just joking. Now get to work on that badger, and lifesize is always more work than a shoulder mount. Especially when you get into open mouth. Alot of focus needs to be on the feet also. I like to make my base first that way when I mount I can position the feet and toes to the rock, rather thsn trying to stuff rock or moss underneath the foot after it is dry. Just a few pointers from a a rookie as well.

8. beaverman05

beaverman05 Member

Badgers are protected in Wisconsin. I'd be carful with the law on this one

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

9. Thank you. I am aware of that fact. I received it from a taxidermist in Michigan. I did all I could to revive him when he arrived. Mouth to mouth, heart paddles, "CLEAR", the whole nine yards. All in vain, I figure I might as well mount him now.

10. I'm in Wisconsin as well - you can only mount that Badger for someone else's private collection. A taxidermist cannot take ownership of Bader in Wisconsin regardless of origin. The Badger must be in clients name and taxidermist can work on it - paper trail must show that it was legally harvested in another state and transferred directly to your client. This information came straight from DNR head Warden.

11. Well that does make a difference. I don't want to get into any trouble. I guess I will have to try a Raccoon instead. Thanks for the heads up...

12. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Wow….interesting info right there. Well, since you have it, what if you tanned the hide and maybe do a skeletal articulation? Are there any legalities involved with any that, Driftless?

Driftless, I too live in Wisconsin. I'm not a taxidermist, so I don't have any certification's that are bound to state laws. I just clean skulls that my customers bring to me (with their proper harvesting permits) so forgive me if I come off naive!