1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gander Mountain warning. Do not put your mounts in their stores

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michaeljosmi, Dec 18, 2013.

1. michaeljosmi

michaeljosmi New Member

:mad:I put several mounts on display at Gander Mountain in Twinsburg Ohio and they have disappeared. They came to me looking for mounts to display. A lg life size black bear(B&C), Bearcub and porcupine. Fisher with a small porpupine and 3 ducks. Gander HQ says they are not respocible for the lose and offered me an insulting amout in gift cards. They have since located(won't tell me how or who) the bearcub/ porcupine which was destroyed and not in the condition I left it. The have not offered me any more than $3000.00 in gift cards for the lose of over $12000.00 worth of award winning mounts. All were entered in regional and state NTA OTTRand OAT competitions. If you you have mounts at stores or Gander beware. I have been fighting them for 4 months with no end in sight. Just rude comments and insulting banter. BEWARE of Gander Mountain!!!!!! pass the word on!!!!!.

2. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Did you have them sign a contract?
    If I was putting award winning mounts in a store there would definitely be a contract

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this Mike. Sounds like a lawyer is in order.

Ft, Wayne Indiana's Gander Mountain contacted me and others about a year ago that they will no longer display taxidermy work and to pick up any mounts I may have there. Didn't give a reason and I didn't ask

I once displayed some mounts in five different Walmarts and had a store manager relocate and take a bass mount with him at one of the stores. They told me he said it was his. Don Ryno in Michigan (I'm in Indiana) had the same thing happen to him. Pretty bad when a store manager is a thief.

My deer had a santa hat and Rudolf nose put on it every Christmas with sunglasses on the bass. After not seeing where I got one single customer through Walmart and tired of the BS i pulled all my mounts from all five stores.

Oh and another common thing was to have signs and phone numbers come up missing. However I attribute that to loser taxidermists.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Brian,

I doubt they'd sign it. It's hard enough to get some of these stores to hang your mounts let alone sign a contract.

5. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Then it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Do you have insurance?

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Gander yanked nearly all of their mounts locally here about two years ago. They never called me. I found out from a customer that they were gone.Luckily, they took pretty good care of them and had them about a mile high on a shelf in a back room. Yeah, I didn't visit the store too often and still don't. I use to get a good chunk of business from them years ago when they had the bragging board. As soon as they yanked that, my business from them went from 20-30 mounts a year to nothing. Weird that my flyers brought in the work vs. mounts. But, EVERYBODY saw the flyers as they came in and left when the bragging board was there.

FYI, Gander had me log in my mounts when I first dropped them off and I'm pretty sure I recall reading something about them not being responsible for damage in some small print...

7. nate

nate Active Member

Yep, same thing happened to me. Still going round and round with them on two of my glass executive case missing. Heard through the grapevine that they were getting rid of all the mounts. Seems kinda funny they failed to contact me about it. Especially when my name and number's on everyone of them!

8. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I know of lots of mounts that were not claimed at Gander here in Indiana when they removed mounts. But like Marty mentioned I signed a paper listing my mounts and also the paper I signed stated that you were to come in at least 1 time every 6 months to clean your mounts as well as the statement that they were not responsible for them. I work at Gander and was there when the mounts were removed. I cannot speak for all Gander Mountains but I know certified letters were sent to everyone's last known address that could not be reached by phone. All of the mounts that were not claimed by the owners were to be destroyed. I bet all the mounts that were unclaimed were people who did not abide by the written contract and check on there mounts let alone clean them 2 times a year.

9. I knew an employee at a gander mountain here in n.c. that called me earlier this year to see if I was interested in buying some African mounts from him that he said the store let the employees have after they cudnt get in touch with owner. Idk what the mounts looked like but I don't see any taxidermist just letting them have them. Said the reason for taking all mounts down was that they had customers who were offended.

10. I just recently took my last pheasant mount out of a big sporting goods store because they covered my sign with a tv and never cleaned the bird.Of course it's neck was broke. I've had nothing but trouble with consignments and decided it's not worth it...people don't know how to handle birds or clean them.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sorry, I just GOTTA ask. Why on God's green earth do you guys continue to fall for that crap? Most of us old farts have warned you dozens of times to stay away from "loaning" your work to any of these stores. Whether it's a Mom & Pop or one of the bigger names, step on your ego button and realize that you're getting nothing out of the proposition AT BEST. To them, you're nothing more than a beggar looking to use their stores as advertising and them to use your work simply as decorations. To even think of putting an "award winning" mount in any store is beyond my comprehension. You're NOT going to pick up any new clients there - unless you're cheaper than the other guy he's been using. If your work is quality, you'll get far more from word of mouth from your current clients than all the chain stores put together. It's just like gambling. In the end, the only winner is the guy who own the joint

12. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

X2

13. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

. +2 In this day and time there's about a 1000 different ways to reach a customer base, hanging your work in a store isn't even on that list. Sure , you may get some work out of it but your time and expense can be used much better elsewhere.

14. FishArt

Lessons learned here George. You're right. My mounts at Gander may have snagged a handful of jobs through the years, but relatively little work was generated from the mounts themselves I learned. It was always the flyer by the door that people saw and remembered. Hey, I tried...

15. nate

nate Active Member

Well! Kick me in the nuts for trying! Wont happen again! Sorry!!

16. michaeljosmi

michaeljosmi New Member

I did have a contract and they offered me 10% discount on anything I bought at the store. The problem occured when they decided to lose any record and sell my mounts. The manager at the time they disappeared is now gone and they can't find him. So they make me out to be a liar and denie anything was even in their store. After bribing an employee and scareing the crap out of another one of my mounts was returned.It was moth eaten and trash. So now the HQ has to rethink there position and I am involveing a lawyer after the 1st of the year. Contract mean nothing unless you can back them with money and a lawyer. They can say whatever they want.

17. michaeljosmi

michaeljosmi New Member

I did the mounts for competition and am not a comercial taxidermist so I did not want any business at all.Sounds like gander screwed alot of us. I will have to mention that at my next meating with my lawyer

18. michaeljosmi

michaeljosmi New Member

I did have a contract and they offered me 10% discount on anything I bought at the store. The problem occured when they decided to lose any record and sell my mounts. The manager at the time they disappeared is now gone and they can't find him. So they make me out to be a liar and denie anything was even in their store. After bribing an employee and scareing the crap out of another one of my mounts was returned.It was moth eaten and trash. So now the HQ has to rethink there position and I am involveing a lawyer after the 1st of the year. Contract mean nothing unless you can back them with money and a lawyer. They can say whatever they want

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Tack on 2 million for pain and suffering. Then make sure the media does a story with photos of the "stolen" mounts. I have challenged Goliath before and nothing scares a giant like a little media light.

20. FishArt

Just curious, what's the point of putting mounts at Gander if you're not trying to generate work?