1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Complaining customer poll

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by B KENNEDY, Oct 9, 2006.

1. YES I have had some really nice customers

30 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. NO they think I snap my fingers and I’m done

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. LOL this is part of taxidermy get over it

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    I’m only telling them 8 to 10 months, and all I heir is what you cant have it back to me any faster than that!?!

My answer is always for an additional $150.00 you can be next in line. That generally makes them go 8 to 10 will be fine. LOL

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Re: Complaining customer pole

B, I want to tell you why I always discourage "express service". I know lots of taxidermists do it, but IN MY OPINION, it's cheating your other customers.

Say you only got 10 customers all year. The first guy in the door for that year, you told him that he'd have his deer back in 3 months (not unreasonable as he's the first and only one). He doesn't complain about the price or the time frame. The next guy comes in but he wants it for his kid's birthday in 3 months. You charge him the extra and he comes in front of #1. Customers number 3 through 10 also have priorities and they want theirs back quicker so you take their money and your #1 customer now doesn't get his deer back until 6 months later. He paid you what you asked, yet with each successive customer with a gasoline ass and a big pocketbook, he stepped backwards on your priority list. You made $1350 more by doing this but you cheated a paying customer who just might go someplace else next year because you bumped him back and he's likely to tell all his friends about how he was treated. To that end, the money you made won't be very significant to the amount you lose and how your credibility is damaged. JUST MY OPINION.

3. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO

thanks George
    i had not thought of that yet. i have been more or less use-ing the "you can buy your way to the front" as a scare tactic and have had all that have had to heir it say i will what thanks . I see a big problem if some one takes me up on it now.

thanks
    bob

4. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Here's my take on expedited service. I have a few customers, every now and then, that want it done "now". I oblige them by doubling the wages portion of the mount. Most will not pay it...however, if they do, I consider it like overtime. I don't put them "in front" of anybody else. I work late or work on a weekend (when I normally wouldn't be working) to get it done. I do not advertise it...only offer it if they really need it fast.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

As I said, it was just my opinion. I don't have "shop hours" as such and when I'm working there, I'm working for the first guy on the list. I don't get paid by the hour anyway, so if I spend extra hours in the shop, I just look at it as MY hangup. I know a guy right here locally who's about to be in a real jam because of this practice. He has customers who've waited 3 years for their mounts and yet he's giving "cash customers" their work back within 2 months.

6. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

All my clients get the same treatment. First job in, first job out. That is fair to all.

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

My price for a normal deer mount is $350, I offer 3 month service to all at $650. EVERY customer is offered this service, so I don't feel like I am ripping someone off. My turnaround is generally April-May on deer anyhow.

I have gotten into binds where my turnarounds have really gone too long, but I tyr to keep it less than a year.

8. I attended a seminar by Joe Coombs a few years ago and he said that he did offer "rush" service on mounting. But it was at a premium and was done after working hours. In other words for "X" amount of money he would give up some free time to meet the clients rush order. But no one ever got pushed back because of this practice.

If youre not already putting in 12/14 hours a day this might work for you, but if your work load is already maxed out, you may want to rethink it.

Hugh

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

First in, first out is how it is here. I get a few each year that think 6-8 months is too long. I just tell them that's the way it is, I have others in front of theirs and they are done in order.

They are welcome to take it elsewhere in town and wait a year or two. I usually try to have them out in 4-6 months, but I like to have a little slack there just in case.

I always get a couple in right before deer season that were left over from the previous season. They want to "beat the rush" and get in front of the line. Thing is, if they would have just brought it in during last deer season, they would have already gotten it back a few months ago. I don't know if they just remembered it sitting in the freezer, didn't have the money, or the wife finally threatened to throw it out, but it never fails. Just got two in the other day from last year and, naturally, they didn't wrap them good so they are freezer burned.

Can be a pain, but I guess it just goes with the territory. I can definitely think of worse things. LOL

10. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I agree with George, No express service. I take all of my clients in order the come in. Yes it doesn't always work that way. I have a decent turnaround right now. The more you work on these rush jobs the more you are going to get behind. I am not telling any one what to do but word of mouth can make you or break you. If you do a fish in 3 months and a client waits 7 months to get his,an this client was to meet the first, even if you explain the situation at the time your still wrong. The client will simply say why didn't you offer to him or her at the time. The word will get out. Good Luck, Jim

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

George, sometimes I give you grief, but you are right on this time. Good point, well said. One bad apple can rot a whole bunch of apples!