1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3rd shoulder mount, critiques appreciated

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DogSoldierChick, Dec 18, 2013.

1. This is my husbands buck. I hope I have improved on getting the nose pad in better position and the ears. All critiques welcome and appreciated. No finish work yet. Will update then as well. You all have been so helpful each time. Thanks for taking the time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Looking good. Ok you do need to look at your eye crease reference a bit. But then again it was difficult to see.

3. [​IMG]. Better pic of eye. Of course no finish work has been done.

4. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Humm better. Depends on your preference and references. I like a bit more brow but your doing good. Just keep your references handy. Honestly deer vary in areas as to certain looks.

5. I agree. I was looking at the game head of the week. Reference is great but sometimes when I look at others mounts I can see how they got the look. More brow would be better I think. This being a southern deer, honestly most of what I have taken in have been middle Tennessee 2 year olds. I know the area and age effect muscle tone as well. For any deer he lacks enough brow as perhaps he needs more of a groove going into the gland. Thank you. I'm sure that means I needed more clay in this area. I have a harvest picture of this deer, several in fact. Is it ok to compare them with the mount it is that a bad idea as its muscles lay different after death?

6. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have also noticed that alot of deer on here have hair on their eyelids. I haven't seen one of mine I've took in like that. Is it a northern deer thing? I think not having it makes it harder to make the eyes so pretty. Takes more paint. Am I wrong? Do the brows get more pronounced with age? I took in a four year old the other day that looked distinctly different than the younger bucks I have been. He had a large jaw line and roman nose you could see even in the skull... What I would call a bull look. It was nice to finally get a older buck in. My husband wouldn't have mounted this buck except I didn't have one I'd done to show people. Lol.

7. On a side note this deer had a tough life... He had been shot thru the brisket and thru the back tenderloin at the last wrinkle going back. The brisket wasn't too bad... The back had a quarter size hole on this side that slipped from the infection around it, then exit hole was directly on the back ( musta been shooting up hill). That was 3 inches long and a inch wide. I know wrinkles wouldn't be so pronounced on a lighter weight younger buck but it helped hide and my husband likes that look. Any input on if the wrinkles are ok or not?

8. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

If you would put the groove line in the top brow it would make a big difference and make it look more life like Ear buts need to come forward.

Attached Files:

9. Doug Motgomery

I can see where it gos in your Pic

Attached Files:

• wt2.jpg
      wt2.jpg
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
  10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Good pictures Doug. Learning to "almond shape" eyes was my toughest challenge. A bit too much and you get a sleepy eyed effect. The skin issue IS typically a southern deer issue, but not unique. Don't paint them too heavily. You'll find that a misting of Cover White, a thin mist of Flesh and then a tinting of Burnt Umber will eliminate that "mange" look. Work on your lid placement and you'll do fine.

11. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Looking good, great eye pics Doug

12. Your husband should feel like he hit the grand prize in the wife lottery. How many guys can go out and bag a buck and bring it home to have the little woman mount it up for him? Beautiful child you have there too. I think that you're doing fine. For just your third I think it's really nice. Good job...

13. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

To answer the question of the death photo....It's not a good practice to use for reference. You are correct that muscles relax. Overall, you are doing well. Good luck.

14. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Al ways center your whitetails when taking a pictures ; your on the right track couple more mounts and taking the advice here , that is given , you will see your mount`s improve . My best to ya . :)

15. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

I think it should also be mentioned to keep in mind the angle at which the reference photos are taken. In both photos Doug provided, the nose is elevated. For the beginners reading this thread looking for eye shape reference as well, the upper eye lide would be more level with the nose lowered giving a less lazy look.

best, Steve

16. sealow

sealow Member

I don't know if you're using bondo or earliners, but I see the ear tips bending inwards. A mistake I used to make when working with Bondo.

17. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I would recommend 3D reference. It takes most a lot of experience to "interpret" photo reference, to see in their mind what's going on under the skin on a photo. Combine your photos with some good 3D reference that you can simply "copy" as you learn will give you a big jump start. Try one of Rick Carter's ready to mount heads. You have ears, ear butts, nose, eyes all in one reference. (Get one ear forward, one back)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Thank you all!!! Great advice!!

19. Doug Motgomery

All I am trying to do get you going forward in your progress, by putting in little things like the eye crease will help your deer mounts look more alive . there are lots of things that the eye mussels can do depending on what the deer is doing and what he is looking at. But you are not ready for that yet you have done 3 deer and you will only be confused.. Try this from the front corner of the eye go 3/4 of the way back on your bottom eye lid make it your lowest point. Then from the front agene on the upper eye lid go a 1/4 back and make that your highest point. and then adjust according to your reference. That will help you out on a relax look.

20. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

Dig the nose out a little deeper and use some dusty pink in your airbrush to blend it. A deer needs to look like it can breathe, and if you don't dig that out a little on a form, it makes it look funny!