1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Potassium permanganate for staining antlers

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by sunparakeet, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but what kind of Potassium permanganate do you buy for staining antlers? It looks like I can buy it online in liquid and solid form from all sorts of suppliers. I need to get some for staining sun-bleached antlers.

Is this what I need?

http://www.sciencecompany.com/Potassium-Permanganate-100g-P6403.aspx

If not, where do you guys buy it? I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Looks like the crystals, which is what I have. A little goes a LONG way with this so experiment first. Looks purple at first and then turns brown so don't panic. The bottle I have I bought in a farm store a long time ago and I still have the same bottle.. Also used with livestock wounds I think as well as in fish tanks to treat some fish diseases..

3. Thanks Sea Wolf. We've got a big farm supply store here so maybe I'll check that out and see if I can pick it up locally before buying it online. Just wasn't sure if it was the crystals or the liquid that I needed. I have a friend who wants me to stain some antlers for him. I told him I've never done it before but I looked up some tutorials on this site and have spare antlers I can try it out on.

I also found out that you can start a fire with it by mixing it with glycerine which I already have. I better try that out after I buy some :)

4. Dczymmek

Dczymmek Member

Yeah I enjoy experimenting with chemicals, if you make a small mound with the permanganate, then press a small dibit into it, you can ignite it by adding 3-5 drops of pure glycerin-it starts very quickly and burns hotly, so stand back a foot or two. ::)

5. I've never been happy with the outcome using PP. it leaves the antlers too red compared to a naturally stained set. Has anyone come up with a solution?

6. Really? I'd be willing to try something different if anyone has suggestions. I'd like the antlers to look as natural as possible obviously.

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

There are other methods on here. Folks have listed their favorite stains and what they do. Probably search for Antler Staining.

8. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Yeah, there's a million ways to achieve this. Personally, I've had nothing but good success with PP. I too use the crystals because as stated above, a little bit goes a long way. Plus it takes very little time, with very little touch ups, to get the antlers looking good again. Whatever you decide on tho, make sure you protect the skull well enough first before coming at it with stains & colorants! LOL!!

9. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Do you all seal the antlers with something before staining. Old weathered antlers that is. Last time I messed with PP it sesmed to just soak into the dry antler pretty fast.

10. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Personally, i've never run into that issue. I'm sure somebody on here has though. And no, I don't do anything to the antlers before applying the PP, except for removing anything left behind from the water rings during degreasing. A quick rub with warm rag does the trick.