1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

European mount is this true?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bowtech2, Dec 19, 2013.

1. bowtech2

bowtech2 New Member

I was told by taxidermist that if you do European mount that after a year or so they start to smell and the skull start to yellow is this true? That I should go with a plastic skull. Thank you for the input.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It is possible, but not likely, if it properly degreased.

3. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Not true, if done properly.

4. X3

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

X4 The guy who told you that wants to sell you the artificial skull. I can do a mount on an artificial skull from start to finish in 15-20 minutes and not get a drop of blood or flesh anywhere. A properly done euro mount is actually quite a bit of work to do it right. I'll also add, a poorly done mount with an artificial skull can look pretty bad too. I offer the artificial skull mounts $$20 cheaper than a euro mount because its easier for me.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

His must do this, not everyone cuts corners when degreasing like this guy that talked to you.

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

If you look below he is doing his own, so the guy that told him is probably right.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,357028.0.html

8. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

X5 If it's done correctly, it shouldn't smell or change colors….

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Good point Brad, I missed that part. Go ahead boil it and lets us know how it turns out for you. As I referred to, it won't bleed grease if there isn't any left to bleed out, meaning not boiled and properly degreased.