1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yellow tint

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by deerbigbuck, Dec 20, 2013.

1. So I got this set of antlers in today that are from 1928 and when I got them they were black from what I think was cigarette smoke and when I cleaned them off with just dawn and water they cleaned up real nice but they still have a yellow tint to them. Is there any thing that will remove the yellow tint without harming the antlers, I know I wi gave to stain them but any help would be great. Thanks

2. Here's a pic

Attached Files:

3. One more

Attached Files:

4. One more

Attached Files:

5. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 New Member

Heres a video from youtube may help.
    Plus the lady who made the video is a member here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reAoZQ7h7z8

6. Here are a few after I stained it what do y'all think of the color

Attached Files:

7. Again

Attached Files:

8. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

Like it!!!

9. We'll I had the customer look at it before I mounted it to make sure he likes it. He said it looks like it was carved out of wood he wants a more gayer look but I think they look awesome but I need to make him happy so any suggestions on how go get a more gray look to it. Thanks

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

One of the problems you have there is you started off with yellow antlers as an undercoat, when adding brown stain and wiping down to blend, its going to still have the yellow base come through. White out the rack first, then start with the stain. If he wants it to look more gay, add flowers, LOL.

11. Yea that was my next step just to white out the whole rack and do a gray oil paint/ laquer base then use potassium permanganate I think that will give me the look he wants

12. Can anyone tell me if bleach water will work to turn antlers all white or do I need to buy some basic white

13. Ok so whatever is on these antlers is on there good I soaked overnight in strong bleach water with no change then I put a good coat of salon care white paste on them which normally works but again no change I don't know what else to try Any suggestions

14. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It looks to me like they might have been brushed with shellac at some point. That stuff is very prone to yellow over time and I don't think bleach will phase it.
    Have you tried a still toothbrush and some denatured alcohol? Maybe even soak it for a little while. If it's old shellac then that should get it off of there pretty quick.
    Otherwise ... white primer and then start over.

15. Bleach is not a good choice, I would use Clairol Basic white and 20 volume peroxide to totally whiten the antlers and go from there.

16. Ok I restrained this rack and I'm posting this new pic to see what y'all think about the color. Thanks

Attached Files: