1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

This Deer was on its last leg

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Doug Motgomery, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This deer had very little teeth left. according to the set of teeth the I age deer with, this old doe was over 9 1/2 years old in the wild.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

She had to be pretty smart to last that long. She will taste 9 years old to probably.

3. Whitetailfreak84

Whitetailfreak84 New Member

Doug is that normal to have so much white in the palette or is that just the characteristics of that old doe?

4. Doug Motgomery

Yes I seen that but I think its from no blood flow, all of the ones I have seen has a pink fleshy look to them when they are alive.

5. Whitetailfreak84

Whitetailfreak84 New Member

Thanks Doug . Nice pics thanks for sharing.

6. nickq83

nickq83 Member

Doug i have seen some older deer befoe but not with a palette that color that is crazy. She is definitely old and unique

7. KidOhio

KidOhio New Member

A buddy of mine in NJ raised a fawn, they put a big yellow ear tag in her ear in hopes she would not get shot... this is her 9th winter! You would never guess it when you do see her on camera or in person. She looks great.

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Look how white the gums and even part of the tongue is. I'm sure it is due to the lack of blood. Otherwise it would be flesh in color.

9. Why would color of a WTD's mouth be a facter in it's age?

10. dihard

dihard aim small miss small

wow she was going to have to eat oat meal with teeth like that ...i have one doe comes back every winter to the yard for 13 years now ..

11. mkeilers

mkeilers New Member

Have you had any instances of EHD (Blue Tongue disease) by you? This
    looks suspiciously like some of the older sheep and cattle pictures that have been
    circulated by DNR to hunters.
    http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/2013/06/18/blue-tongue-disease-in-deer/

My family hunts in Iowa and we are seeing more and more deer carcases with hoof problems
    and blue tongues (hemorrhagic) that are dead for no apparent cause. Since it's carried by
    midges (no-see-um's), it's really been a concern for our deer management.

From 2012 when we had a huge overpopulation of does to this year when it's been hard to find large herds. :(

12. Doug Motgomery

Good friend of mine killed this doe, It was not found dead. And yes we have had some blue tongue in are state. This doe was just old.