1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail taxidernist recommendation. Louisiana

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by young taxidermist, Dec 21, 2013.

1. young taxidermist

young taxidermist New Member

I have two bucks I would like to get mounted and for the past 2 weeks have been looking at taxidermists with no avail. The one guy (joe strange) I found that's mounts are outstanding in my opinion doesn't use a tannery, just Krowtans in his shop. Although Krowtan might be great I just don't feel like I've gotten a quality mount without having it sent to a tannery. With all that said can anyone recommend a good deer taxidermist in louisiana or sw Mississippi? I've searched the Internet and the site sponsors but still feel like there's someone else I should be looking at.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Darrell, It's pretty obvious you're uninformed about this. Much like people who will only buy a "heavy" watch because "light ones" are "cheaper quality", you position on Krowtan is way off. Rick Carter is a multiaward winning taxidermist. If there IS an award, he has it and in his very informative DVD on taking a field dressed animal to a championship mount, he uses --- KROWTANN. Now if Rick Carter uses it and can win every award know to man and taxidermists,, why would you question someone's work because they use a product you admittedly "feel" is inferior to a professional tan??? If Joe Strange is doing work pleasing to your eyes, stop selling him short because he doesn't share your opinion on the method of tanning. You should see some of the mounts I've seen from guys who agreed with your philosophy. A "professionally tanned" hide is a poor guarantee of the quality of your mount.

3. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

George is 100% correct in my opinion. I know some guys that use dry preservative and can make a mount look way better than the next guy that uses a commercial tannery.

4. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Well said George, and Rick Carter is not alone. I also would add the list of professionals and World champions alike who use Krowtann is as long as my leg. In fact, the only ones who think Krowtann is a bad tanning process are so called " professional tanneries " and those who have been told it's bad from said tanneries.

5. young taxidermist

Well, to be honest I am a bird guy. It's not to often I look for anyone to mount a deer but I guess I'm just partial to the soft, thin, leathery tan a commercial tannery would produce. I'm not knocking anyone's work that uses at home tanning methods or even dp. My regular guy produces some great mounts with dp, however in this case that's not the route in looking to go. I guess I should do some in depth reading on Krowtan.

6. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Dude, once it's mounted you won't know if the tan is soft or not so what's the diff? FYI, after that soft tan is rehydrated to mount and then dries, it's no longer soft. IMO the most important part of that equation is the SHAVING. That's where thin comes from. After that if the preservation/mounting process is performed in a manner (by a talented, knowledgeable taxidermist) that ensures no cracking, shrinking, or shifting then you've gotten the quality you seek. Research the TAXIDERMIST, not so much his/her techniques. Expand your mind.

7. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I don't understand the need. Louisiana doesn't have any deer worthy of mounting.......do they? LOL Just kidding.

Seriously dude, don't worry so much about what the brand on the delivery truck is when your shipment arrives, or if the delivery guy shaved this morning or not. Worry about if your shipment was what you ordered and if in fact you ordered the right stuff and it arrived........unbroken. Understand?

Although, I do appreciate you trying to shop intelligently, your scope of knowledge on the subject is tainted.

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I don't think you can get a more "expert opinion" than Steven and Rick. Let's put this in the bird world. Say Frank Newmyer and Stephen Savides are telling you why they like a certain product, and the manufacturer of a competing product is claiming it's junk, who's got more credibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Been a lot of awards won with Krowtanned hides. I suspect there will be a lot of others won too.

10. I could recommend a couple in NE Mississippi.....

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If I were looking for a good whitetail guy in Miss. I would check out that eddieb guy, rumor has it he does very nice work. ;)

12. young taxidermist

Lol nice comparison Jared. Good way to put it into perspective. Well I guess y'all have opened my eyes as to focus on the final product regardless on how an individual reaches it. I like his work, so Ill be giving him a try. And as far as small deer in Louisiana, have y'all seen this!? http://louisianasportsman.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8a37c95e33ff7b293f7eda9f8&id=fdcfc78fb9&e=054bad0b2e but yea out deer are like dogs lol

13. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Hey Darrel in MO we have that beat.... My friends step son with his first deer....
    Rich

Attached Files:

14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I do work for Louisiana sportsmen all the time. I haven't been fired by any of them yet, LOL!!!

My methods are really irrelevant, it's customer satisfaction that counts.

15. joe

joe Member

Darrel give me a call.

Joe