1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Floating hide in pickle..whats safe to use?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by frenchydermist, Dec 24, 2013.

1. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Hi!
    I know this may sound stupid but what is safe to use in a pickle solution to keep a deer hide from floating?? Concrete bricks? Its the first complete deer hide im doing and it floats like it is made of cork!!! I know that anything made of metal is a big no there....what should i use???

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Concrete is worse. It contains lime. Let the hide float. Stir it occasionally to keep it "wet".

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Use air, nothing else. Pickles are acid, concrete bricks are highly basic..
    You'll have bricks covered with hair and a hide with no hair.

Let them float skin side down, stir daily and check pH often.

4. John L

John L Active Member

I use plastic 2 liter bottles filled with water to hold my capes down. Never had a problem.

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I use nothing, have for decades and let them float. Never had a problem.

6. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Gallon anti freeze jugs with water in them.

7. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I don't use anything . Just let them float , stir at least 2 -3 times a day , make sure ph is right never have had a problem

8. frenchydermist

Thanks a lot!

9. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

I use to use jugs of water to hold them down, now I just let them float and stir them 2 to 3 times a day. No difference what so ever.

10. frenchydermist

Same for tanning? Let it float hair up, skin down or it really have to be submerged?

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Does NOT have to be submerged. Hair up, skin down, but stir it occasionally to insure the hair side is wetted with the acid occasionally. Can you imagine how many milk jugs it would take a professional tannery to insure they were submerged?

12. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I agree with George! Every morning at Modern Fur Dressing, Roger Smith simply walked in, and stirred his pickled skins using a canoe paddle. It worked! But I did have an opportunity later, to work with a guy who used 5 Gallon pails half filled with water and capped to weigh his skins down while they pickled, and when I arrived, it was the first thing I asked him - please remove those pickling weights! He did - and it didn't make a difference! It had slowed down his whole operation. Every time he needed a skin out of the pickle you had to remove the 5 Gallon pails.

13. Eaglerockfurs

Eaglerockfurs New Member

We actually do use 5 gallon jugs filled with water on top of a grate to hold them down but I rehydrate 20-30 capes at a time so I lean towards making sure they are submerged. Idahotannery.com and yes we spend a lot of time pulling jugs in and out.