1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fibrous Tissue

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by bone-o, Dec 25, 2013.

1. bone-o

bone-o New Member

If it macerates for long enough, does the specimen eventually lose ALL non-bone tissue? Mine always have a tiny bit of fibrous muscle tendon/cartilage on the connecting parts, maybe not obvious to the eye but you can feel it.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I'd say maybe leave it a bit longer? If you are poking at it during the process, leave it alone? Do not rinse it at all until it is 100% done? Mine come out completely stripped.

3. bone-o

bone-o New Member

All right.

What do you mean by "poking at it," though?

4. Sea Wolf

Some people want to keep looking at it instead of just letting it sit. If you pull it out once a day and rinse it off to examine it, this disturbs the bacteria layer that is working on it. Moving it around while in the container is ok but you don't want to rinse it until it is done. If you water temp is at least 80 to 90 degrees constantly, maybe just leave them in the bucket a little longer. The little bits of tissue that are left, you should be able to scrape most of it off. After you degrease it, the peroxide bath will dissolve much of it and what little bit that is left will usually dry clear and will not be seen.

5. bone-o

bone-o New Member

Will that waste some of the oxidation potential? If so, will keeping it in peroxide longer still get it chalky white, or will I have to replace the peroxide with new stuff after a while?

6. Sea Wolf

Not sure what you mean. At some point, you always have to replace peroxide. It depends a lot on how hard you make it work and the strength of it to begin with. If you are referring to the small connective tissue bits left over, it won't make much of a difference with the peroxide bath. After you have degreased, that might all still come free anyway. However long you leave it in peroxide is up to you and how white you want it.

7. bone-o

bone-o New Member

Do you replace peroxide midway through a single specimen whitening?

8. No. You can do lots of bones before you need to replace it. If the pieces left over are THAT small, I'd ignore them and just start degreasing. It'll come off, just pick at it when you change out the water.