1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

another giant in surry county va this is rediculous this year

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by TIM DUNCAN, Dec 25, 2013.

1. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

another monster this has been a killer yr for big bucks

Attached Files:

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

WOW thats a stud !

3. EA

EA Well-Known Member

That thing is Massive ! Look at those brow tines.. Holy Smokes what a buck.

I got to start hunting down your way. Been 20 yrs or better, but I'm goin' Back ! LOL

4. thats a nice 1

5. T2LTaxidermy

T2LTaxidermy Member

I've been hunting Surry all my life Tim. This year has been crazy down there. I've taken some very nice ones over the years. But your right this year has been nuts. I've got in so many deer from there that are huge it's crazy. This was killed today in Surry.

Attached Files:

6. T2LTaxidermy

T2LTaxidermy Member

PS... that pic you posted. Sherman takes some nice ones almost very year down there.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Are these game farm animals?

8. TIM DUNCAN

no these are all free rooming deer here we got some good genes and allot of beans

9. George

Just seems strange that these big bucks are being taken but none of them show up in the B&C record books. We have good genes, good beans, good corn, and we take a fare share of bruisers here, but those two outside a game farm would be showing up in outdoor magazines. The "Virginia deer" ain't exactly known for brute deer.

10. TIM DUNCAN

go to virginia whitetails face book page and look at some of the bucks in this area

11. I mount deer every year for guys that would easily make Boone. They aren't interested in entering them in the book or having a story a done on them. The last two were in the 230 range.

Bruce

12. George

Bruce! Now really!!!! A WILD, FREE RANGING WHITETAIL BUCK scoring in the 230's could be worth a fortune in endorsements. Maybe there's one guy - possibly two - who would be that way, but to imply there are "many" only make this post eben more suspect.

13. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

I agree with bucknut..Some hunters just see no sense in getting theyre name in the book anymore..for 2 reasons...educates others as to the best county's or area's that trophys are taken and get swarmed by eager trophy seekers. And 2 it is just a number and doesn't mean much in a book to some and to me...jmo though.

14. arby

arby Member

Believe me, I've mounted a lot of free ranging deer in that measure in the 230 class. There is little if any money to be made on "endorsements". Let alone a fortune. Although some hunters think there is. A few years back, A guy found an clean 180 gross 4x4. A great find and awesome deer for sure. He thought his working days were over. I had to be the one to burst his bubble. He never had any thing good to say about me after that.

15. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Some hunter just saw the antlers off and hang them in the garage . :eek: not interested in a mount or any thing else.

16. T2LTaxidermy

T2LTaxidermy Member

I have been doing taxidermy here in Virginia for 18 years. Most of all my work come from Surry county Va. I can tell you without a doubt there are MANY B&C deer I have mounted for clients. When I say that I mean 170"-190". I have a friend that is an official scorer. I have him look at almost all of them.

But here's the thing. And this is the reason guys never have them scored or put them in the sportsman show. Let me restart that. The guys that put these in the shows to be scored and get recognition are the ones that kill their very first really big deer around here.

But... The guys that are killing those year in and year out that I mount for them. Know that if they let it get out to a lot of people then the land they are leasing is gone! The land around use to be pretty cheap to lease. Now days no way! It's sky rocketed in price per acre now. I know because I have several leases that have went waaaaaay up because if people coming in a throwing out a really high price.

Here's a example. I have one brought in from Surry this year that green scored 187" ish. With in two weeks that farm had been taken away from that lone hunter that just had verbal permission to hunt it and leased by with a lot of money and a hunting tv show.

So you see it's not really that we don't have the big deer. We do. It's just no one really wants it to get out because of what's happens everywhere else big deer are killed. Prices of land go way up and the no land is available after everyone comes in and leases it.

17. T2LTaxidermy

T2LTaxidermy Member

And like Tim said. Just check Out Virginia Whitetails Facebook page.
    You will see them there.

also. A lot of those guys posting on that Facebook page have lost their land to hunt so I would say the pictures will slow down soon. Lol.

18. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

I know in VA a lot of stocking of captive supercharged Genetic Whitetails have been released to enhance the Genetics on Private Ground.

19. T2LTaxidermy

T2LTaxidermy Member

George this was taken 2 years ago in Surry Va where we hunt at and where most of my work comes from. Seen this deer many times in the field on one of our farms. Was just always at night driving out.
    Scored I believe around 225"

Attached Files:

20. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

I bought a cape off a 219 gross Typical 5x5 with a drop tine, Nets 209!The guy didn't want to mount it!I offered him cash for the rack.Go figure!!Easily a top 10 Deer and he doesn't want to mount it!