1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

grey heron head

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by daniel, Oct 9, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel New Member

hi all will a grey heron,s head pass through the neck ??? or do i have to go around the bill i think it,s around the bill but i would like to be sure ive never done one any answer,s to my question would be very helpfull thank,s in advance DANIEL :) :)

2. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

yes they will, however, that bill will be a royal pain when you try to reinvert it.. Save yourself the time and effort and just incisde under the bill or skin from the beak back.

Jon

3. daniel

daniel New Member

what about the leg,s JON should i cut from the middle of the breast down to the anal then out and around the leg,s ??? leaving the leg,s attached to the body ??? thank,s again DANIEL :)

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO Jon. You're absolutely right but I hate sewing so badly I beat that. Before I skin the head out, I take a 3 ft. piece of straight wire and bend a small hook on the end of it, open the mouth and hook the upper palate. I pull the wire taut and then wrap the point of the beak and the wire with masking tape to eliminate the point. Then skin it out. When I'm ready to mount, I wire the neck through the skull, put my neck material on, and then pull my taped wire. Clean as a whistle every time.

5. daniel

daniel New Member

sound,s good to me george would i be able to make a small hook just slightly protruding from the beak then tape shut and attach a good piece of cord i was thinking of tumbling a little but i think the wire would perhap,s damage the skin i would be able to leave the cord attached i would be in trouble with out you guy,s thank,s for the great tip george all the best DANIEL ;D ;D