1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Missouri Taxidermy Institute

Discussion in 'Training' started by HurtTaxidermy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. HurtTaxidermy

HurtTaxidermy My Dream Deer

Has anyone ever taken any training classes or heard of anyone who went to this school. It's fairly close to me and they offer a 4 week course with everything included and I mean everything including all of the hides we mount, forms, eyes, ear liners, etc. . From what I have seen at other schools you have to bring your own or buy your own hides to mount so that seems like a good deal to me. I'm not sure how expense it is compared to other schools, but this one is $3,400 plus the cost of finding some where to stay for the 4 weeks and for food. If anyone can tell me anything about this school and how the pricing is compared to others it would be great. Thanks Alot

2. I attended the 4 week course at MTI. I found it to be a great learning experience, providing a solid foundation in taxidermy. I don't think they could have packed any more information into in 4 weeks.
    The Instructor Chip Stamper was great. The instruction was hands on and easy to follow, probably based on Chip's teaching background. His family and staff were wonderful making you feel right at home.
    I checked out a lot of schools and MTI was the best bang for the buck. But dont let the price fool you, They dont skimp on anything, using only high quality materials and specimens. Chip's wife Carrie even provides home made baked goods for the students most mornings. If you check on his website he has lots of info on lodging. I found a condo on the lake for my stay that was very reasonable.
    I would definitely recommend his course to anyone looking for a start in taxidermy. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Dave Shanholtz

3. natureboy34

natureboy34 New Member

Where's the MTI Headquarters?

4. kellieg

kellieg New Member

Here's the website.

http://www.taxidermy-schools.com/

I agree with dave completely. I went in 2004 learned a lot.

5. HurtTaxidermy

HurtTaxidermy My Dream Deer

So if you include food and lodging we are talking more like $4,000 total.

6. Tricia

Tricia New Member

I looked into going to that school when I first started. Fortunately, I found an instructor in Kansas City, Kansas that taught one on one. What a great experience. Definitely worth the trip up there.

Second Creation Taxidermy School is second to none. Cindy was so great. She still provides me with help and encouragement, even now, 4 years later. If there's something I run into that I'm not sure of, she'll walk me through it. School may come to an end, but Cindy's friendship is always there.

She's a Master Taxidermist in every sense of the word. Call her and see what you think. Cindy Cunningham, Second Creation Taxidermy School 913-422-3111

7. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

i went to MTI myself, and Dave has it right on, i stayed on the lake in a condo, fished and watched nature when i wasnt in school, i think it cost me around 500 bucks for the condo, and i went to the grocery store each week spent around 50 or 60 dollars a week and ate really good, so yeah you could probably get it done for around 4 thousand total, Russ

8. GC

GC New Member

I too went to MTI and highly recommend it. Chip and Carrie (not to forget Melvin) are some of the nicest people you could hope to work with. The four week course will give you a solid foundation to begin a lifetime of learning from. I have continued building my skills by doing one on one workshops with some truly gifted taxidermists, but I would never have gotten off the ground without the folks at MTI. I have never thought twice about the money spent, because it was worth every dollar. It has been three years now and I still keep in contact with them. You will learn the basic skills and make new friends, where you go from there is up to you. Good luck.

9. newbie07

newbie07 New Member

im attending the 8 week course and im having trouble finding a place to stay....anybody know of a place?

10. kellieg

kellieg New Member

Go to the web page and look at the lodging. I stayed at the Lake Chateau resort. I got one that had a microwave and little frig. Not to bad of a price.

I'm not sure if the school is still sponsored with them. You would just have to ask Chip or Carrie.

11. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

yep, ask carrie, she actually hooked me up with the condo i stayed in, they have people calling and coming by all the time trying to "timeshare" their lake area properties, problem is it is summer time on the lake, so housing is gonna be hard to find, i was in a motel the first night i was there, that chip recommended, but it changed hands after his original recomendation and he didnt know it, when i told them how bad it was, it was almost like it was carries mission to find me a better place to stay, and the same day a fella came in wanting to rent his condo out, so i got it like i said above, they can give you some great ideas of places to check into, i have all of the confidence in the world in them, they are truly great people, Russ

12. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

I went there stayed in a hotel and got reduced rates. Winter rate are cheaper then sumer rates. Very good school. I learned a lot. maybe buy a home study course before you go.
    Look at the web site for lodging. I believe the four week class includes all materials . Skins and all.

13. MTI

MTI Member

Thanks for all the nice comments. We really do appreciate it.

"Hurt Taxidermy" you are welcome to come by for a visit if you like. We are beginning the third week of a four week class. Come by and visit with the people currently taking the class. If you can't make it to this class, check our class schedule. It is posted on our website. Please call Carrie in the office first, she will set something up.

Chip Stamper
    Missouri Taxidermy Institute
    www.taxidermy-schools.com

14. weekley2006

weekley2006 New Member

A Great School Hands Down.

15. I just finished the 4 week express at the end of June. I looked at alot of schools and I'm very glad that I chose MIT. If any of you have any questions feel free to call chip at any time and he will take time out of his very busy schedule to talk to anyone.