1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How much Smooth-Cast?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by sdrenth, Dec 27, 2013.

1. sdrenth

sdrenth New Member

MI
    Hello, I am new to molding and casting. I am going to make a reproduction of a small two foot shark. I am ordering supplies and would like to know roughly how much Smooth- Cast 300 I will need to buy to complete the reproduction.

Thank you

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You're going to cast a 2 foot shark with Smooth Cast???? Could I ask why? There are much cheaper methods with equal results. In fact, they'll be much lighter as well, but to answer your question directly, pour your mold full of water and measure it. That's how much Smooth Cast you'll need.

3. sdrenth

sdrenth New Member

MI
    Sorry like I said I am very new to this... I will do more research to find a cheaper method. Thanks for the help!

4. sdrenth

sdrenth New Member

MI
    Will the method Jknuth used on his "molding and casting a crappie" tutorial be the best method to use on a fish this size?

5. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Yes, his method would work fine for you..

6. You only need a small amount. Maybe 16 oz of both parts. You don't want to pour a solid cast. Just do a roll casting and the fill the center of the casting with foam.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. intohunting

intohunting Member

AZ
    How much smooth should a Smooth-cast cast if a Smooth-cast could cast smooth, OR refer to the answer above.

8. Have you molded the shark yet? If not the fiberglass/bondo mold will be very tricky on sharks without some modifications to the process.
    You will need to wax the sharks skin and give it a few coats of a sealer before you make the mold. The scales (denticles) will bite into the resin and will leave the skin of the shark in the mold with no way to remove it.
    I use silicone to mold small sharks.

9. As for the casting I normally use fiberglass resin and a gelcoat unless its a very small shark. I have a few 2' shark molds that are very slender. for those I use urethane plastic (smooth cast) simply because I get a better casting at that size and its better for the molds using smooth cast in a silicone mold then fiberglass polyester resins.

10. CraigW

CraigW Member

That's interesting Josh, are there freshwater fish that you prefer silicone over bondo/resin ?