1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What are big predator skulls worth?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by nuclearjunky, Dec 28, 2013.

1. nuclearjunky

nuclearjunky Member

I have seen that big predator skulls are often very expensive (contrastating to, for example, deer or horse of equal size). I am asking myself whether these prices are appropiate or not. So, I have seen a german taxidermist selling a wolf skull with quite bad quality for nearly 600 Euros and a rather small not very good brown bear for 800.
    As there are many taxidermists amongst you, I would like to know
    what would be the "normal" price, for example, for a large skull with good teeth of

-a polar bear

-a male lion

-a male siberian tiger with CITES documents (I have not seen one for sale yet, but in Europe it is possible to get documents for Circus or Zoo animals which are on Annex A)

-a "normal" tiger with CITES documents

- a brown bear

-a hyaena

-a grey wolf

How are these prices formed?

2. AH7

AH7 New Member

These prices, and the price of EVERYTHING, are derived from laws of supply and demand. Simply put, we can't tell you how much any one of them is WORTH because the real value of something is how much someone can get for it or how much it would cost to tear it away from the person who has it.

Is THAT bear worth that much. Not to me. I can get bears of that quality any day for $400, and better than that for $600-800. On good days, I can often find crappy specimens like that for $200. BUT, depending on where you are and how much you want one right now, and how much patience you are willing to have or not, it might be worth buying to YOU.