1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help about a deer rug/ wall hanger...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by frenchydermist, Dec 28, 2013.

1. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Hi!
    That lady brought to me a deer hide because she whants a rug or a wall hanger. I tanned it (lutan f) ,oiled it and it is drying right now. The thing is she wants a rug,without any felt around,just the skin, and she wants it soft and flexible(witch the lutan tanning will provide).
    It is half dry at the moment( im breaking /stretching it from time to time)... Will i have to rehydrate it ,let it dry pinned it to a board and breaking it again?Should i had pinned it oiled,let dry and break after????
    she wants a soft and flat skin...
    Thanks for all your help .... Half of my work works because of you!!!!! And sorry for my bad spelling!

2. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

Did this last yr it sucked, I broke it and stretched it a lot like days in a row don't remember the exact amount or how long but will charge more next time for sure good luck

3. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Hell, for all that work you could hsve sent it to the tannery for 65 bucks and got back a nice soft hide back. Next time since you already tanned this one.

4. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Sure, next time!!

5. I did one like that last spring just to throw over the back of the couch. Not sure about lutan, I use Trubond products. But as it's drying kept stretching and breaking/scraping over the edge of a table for a few days. Once completely dry gave it a quick hit with a palm sander I think 80 grit is what I used. Nice and soft and flexible. My son even grabs it from time to time and wraps himself in it, haha. Good luck.