1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

maceration question?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by mark73, Dec 28, 2013.

1. mark73

mark73 New Member

I've been reading the archives and found great information on de-greasing. Far as that goes the whole process. I have done a few but just now starting to understand this better. I'm only doing wt for now.... my question is do you guys submerge part of the antlers in the water aswell or best to keep water level to the base. And also de-greasing? Does it always take about 2 weeks or varies.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Varies on the animal and how healthy and well fed it was. As long as you don't use anything harsh, submerging the antlers should be fine. You should get used to re-staining just in case though. Be aware that there have been some nasty incidences with antlers that were just out of velvet. They do not respond the same as hardened antler. Not being in a rush works best.

3. mark73

mark73 New Member

Thanks sea wolf. The one I'm doing now is a dark chocolate colored. Which most are in the area I'm from. I'm sure I better get use to touching up bases especially after the peroxide bath

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

There are ways to help with that too. Look up "wicking" "latex" and "silicone" along with "antlers". Still .. it's a good talent to have.

5. mark73

mark73 New Member

Thanks, will do.

6. The same rule applies to that of Mexico : don't drink the water.

7. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

mark73 PM sent