1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Basketball as base for bobcat mount

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by mrdux, Dec 28, 2013.

1. mrdux

mrdux Member

OK, I have my helmet on.

I have been approached several times to do bobcats with University of KY themes. So far I have been able to avoid doing them. I liken them to doing squirrels playing cards or other novelty items. I have now found myself in a situation where essentially I have been offered enough $$ to finally break down and do one. The bobcat is a perfect fit for a Research Mannikins form that has the cat's feet all close together like it is standing on a rock or something. With a little alteration, I think I can get it standing on a basketball. The basketball will be a blue/white UK logo licensed ball.

My question--- (after searching here and Youtube) how would you recommend I go about constructing a base out of a basketball without altering the original shape and look of the ball? I know I will have to sacrifice the ball and remove part of it for access to the feet wires and for attachment on a wall panel. I have thought about just cutting a + shaped cut along the wall side and either pouring the attachment base in bondo or building up a wood structure that can be inserted to attach the wires and the wall base to then filling all the void with 3 pound expanding foam.

I'm sure I am not the only taxidermist who has done such. I may be the only one to admit it. There is no doubt that such items would be a huge seller in my area if I ran out of work but that doesn't seem likely.

Any serious advice will be most welcome.

2. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Take you a small hole saw and cut you a plug and pour in foam. Once its full and expanded you could cut a flat section off the back side and carve out your foam. Then plan from there with attachment. Then refill the back opening as needed and set on panel or whatever. Work in progress and thinking on your feet, love that sort of thing.