1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

soaking deer skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by brdhnt, Dec 28, 2013.

1. brdhnt

brdhnt Member

what kind of container do you guys use to soak your deer skulls in peroxide? Size, Material?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Some I can manage to get into 5 gallon buckets but these also have 4+ gallons of peroxide in them. I also use the smaller sweater/storage boxes for Walmart/K-mart and prop up the skull by the antlers. The boxes I found are just long enough for the skulls and plenty wide enough. Height isn't an issue because I use towels to wick the peroxide up and over. For some really oddball ones, I custom cut and made a box to fit out of really heavy cardboard (read from a box that a big, heavy TV or appliance came out of) and then carefully set in a heavy plastic bag. Fill the bag with peroxide and the cardboard walls will hold it. Be careful not to puncture the bag with any sharp points of bone on the skull and it will work great.

3. brdhnt

brdhnt Member

Ok thanks i will give that a try.

4. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

I try to ise the smallest container I can to save on peroxide.

5. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

I use a clear plastic tote from my local Home Depot. They'll call it a "shoe box." It's a 6 quart size. You can typically find them in the shelving aisle's, and are sold for $.99 plus tax. Fits whitetail skulls perfectly and I've had nothing but good luck with them.

Then I just have a variety of other buckets/totes laying around for other types of skulls. Nothing specific, just whatever will work & not leak!

6. jprince

jprince New Member

I like to use a small tote and fill with water. Then get a heavy duty contractor trash pag and put the skull in that and then into tote. The bag suctions to the skull wen placed in the water and hardly any peroxide is needed then to completly cover everything. Dont cheap out get good quality bags and they can be reused and then any sharp points or teeth wont puncture your bags

7. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Re: Re: soaking deer skulls

Great tip. I use kitty litter for the same reason, but I will try the water on the next one. Thanks