1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need a smaller young cow elk form

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jamie E, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Jamie E

Jamie E Member

Seems there's slim pickings when it comes to getting any kind of cow elk form. Got a couple smaller cow elk to shoulder mount I already have the research cow form for another adult cow but it is WAY too big for the other two. Any other forms out there that I don't know about ? I can modify the research form but not crazy about having to do it (twice) thanks for any info u might have. Jamie E

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I don't knowvhiw "small" the cow is but you might try a red deer form perhaps a red stag form slightly modified.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The Research cow shoulder form is 10 1/2 x 18 1/2. If you go to the 1/2 lifesize cow which is 10 1/8 x 17 1/4 and ask them to do a shoulder mount pour. I don't know if they still do this, but they have done it for me in the past. I don't know if those measurements are small enough but it is all I got.

4. Jamie E

Jamie E Member

Thanks George. Hadn't thought of that ill check them out and see if comparable. The two smaller have eye to nose of 8 inches and 1 1/2 less width between eyes and forehead. From base of skull to tip of nose 16 inches ( form is 19 ). I'm thinking about molding it once I do get a correct/close size made I know there are several smaller cows getting killed and turned away from other area taxidermist due no options on cow elk forms Seems to be a reasonable demand for them here now with our growing elk herd and number of tags getting drawn for cow tags. ( KY ) Thanks again. Jamie E

5. kyddm

kyddm New Member

I took a smaller cow in KY with a bow last year. I used a spike bull form from Van Dykes and modified it. I think the E-N was 9 1/2" and it had a smaller neck. It was a straight form and has to be modified if you want a turn. I had to downsize the neck some for mine also, but this form will get you closer to what you need I think.