1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gray Salt???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 126whitetail, Dec 29, 2013.

1. I bought some fine stock salt at a local feed store for salting capes and when I opened it it was grayish/ashy color. The salt I bought last year (from a different store) was white.

Does it matter what color it is or matter at all or is salt, salt? would they gray be ok to use?

Thank You

2. your ok.

3. Its okay to use. My tanner doesnt like me to use it because he said it makes his stuff dirty.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

For the price of salt, I just don't understand you guys going out of your way for substitutes.

5. It's not that I going out of my way for substitutes, I wish I could be that picky... We just have little individually owned feed stores in my area, except for a Tractor Supply Company I had just found somewhat close to our area and a Big R. The place I bough the salt from last year didn't have it available now. So I just have feel through the bags if it was fine enough, I have no idea of the color. or quality.

Would this salt be good, better or best, I looked through the old forums and a few people seemed to like this?
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/american-stockman-fine-stock-salt-50-lb

Thank you I apprecite it.

6. Yep, Thats the stuff I get..

7. Here's something I found to be odd when it comes to salt. I've used American Stockman Fine Stock Salt for quite some time now. I get it at our local Rural King Store. It's too is a gray color but works just fine. I was in need of some salt a few years back and didn't realize I was out. Ran to Rural King and they too were out. I just happened to be headed to a town 50 miles away that afternoon and there is a Tractor Supply close to where I was headed. So I stop in and pick up 3 50lb bags of the same stuff I buy at the Rural King. I mean same exact stuff even compared stock numbers later. Anyway I get home and this stuff is pure white and looks just like table salt!! Same bag but two totally different looking salts. I guess salt it salt but very odd. It was a good change for me because I like using the pure white stuff in my pickle. Makes for a much cleaner pickle. The gray I use for the salting after fleshing. I rinse it off before my hide heads to the pickle. I am close friend with the owner of the Rural King and I showed her the differences. They couldn't understand it either. Not that I cared because it works for me. I just make sure I'm stocked up on both!!!

8. The one in the link I assume is white?

9. You wont know for sure until you open the bag. It's is the right bag though!

10. Well I guess I'll live and learn, at least salt is cheap. ;)

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

The stockman salt i use is the fine grain white , never seen the gray.

12. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

X2 salt is salt with the exceptions of the additives. Don't sweat it. Just stay away from iodine and other unknown additives along with the rock salt that some beginners have tried to use.

13. spk1142

spk1142 Member

when my wife went to tractor supply to get me some stock salt the salesperson asked her if she wanted white or the dark salt. Guess they carry both.

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I started going to a resturant supply depot, you have to sign up to be a member, $5.00, 50 lb Mortons table salt. Aguay was getting pricey at $12.00. The salt Tractor supply sells was good, a little heavier salt grain though.

15. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Same exact thing happened to me, but at Big R. same #, same labeling. You don't know till the bag is open. I buy from them, but I open the bag first.

16. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

17. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Salts not cheap if you have to drive 20 miles to get it......I use what I can get at the closest store.....

18. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Joe, I have a pocket knife.

19. You shouldn't be opening salt bags if you're not going to buy them... UNLESS you carry a needle and cape thread with you. ;)

20. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Just wonder what the purity level on the gray salt is , might be the same bag ; the white is 98 % pure.