1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

using 40% peroxide and whitening paste

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by stav1960, Dec 30, 2013.

1. stav1960

stav1960 Member

Can any one tell me how long to keep the whitening paste on the skull, I'm trying something different to see if I can get a whiter skull, using 40% peroxide and a whitening powder mixing to peanut butter past and applying on skull. Any info would be appreceiated.

2. I generally just leave it overnight and heat seems to help. After rinsing, I set it in the sun to dry and it really whitens.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Probably what you have is 40 VOL peroxide? Hair stuff .. =12% not 40. What will make it whiter is the application of heat. Should be goopy but not p-nut butter. Sounds like it won't be wet enough. Make the goop, slather it on and then wrap it well with Saran Wrap so it doesn't drip or dry out. Get it to a heat source of some type. If a heat lamp, keep turning it bit by bit so the heat gets to all sides of it.

4. I do what seawolf says, but I use a tote large enough to hold the skull, stick a hair dryer in the tote and put the lid on. Walk away for 30-40 minutes and come back, shes done!

5. Maybe someone can help me out here. I use the same process as sea wolf has stated. I just experienced a skull that will not turn 100 % white. I degreased the whitetail skull for over a month in dawn water heated to 115. Used the vol 40 and let set over night by a heater. Skull has brown spots. I just put another coat on and I'm going to let it set overnight again. Hope it helps. Anyone ever have this happen to them.

6. Sure have. Needs more degreasing.

7. Sea Wolf

Show a picture? Might not be grease. Might be iron stains from blood or even iron in the water. A product called Iron Out would remove it. It could also still be some grease. Some specimens are just problem ones. Also, the paste method only really whitens the outside. Submerging in peroxide gets peroxide into all areas inside and out.

8. Well I just washed me second coat if vol 40 off and it was still there. I wiped it off with a rag and it removed the stains. Almost looks like rust. It's not grease.

9. Sea Wolf

Iron stains = rust. Sometimes it's deeper into the bone and then the Iron Out will remove it. Are you using a metal container? Possibly something metal that is exposed in the water?

10. No everything is plastic. This is the first time I have had this happen to me. I'll let it dry out and see how it turns out like. If I do use the iron out how much do I use in 2.5 gal of water.

11. stav1960

stav1960 Member

Thanks guys, Believe it or not I found the same product at my wife's hair salon that I purchased thru a Taxidermy supply company for half the price, I could only buy the quart bottles and not the half gallon jug because of our crazy new laws here in CT, but if I wanted to buy 20 quart bottles I could, go figure.

12. Sea Wolf

Hair salons carry 2 types of 40 VOL peroxide. Stay away from the cream type and use just the straight peroxide. The cream type has oil in it to help keep human hair from being damaged. Good for hair, not so good when you want the oils out of the bone. There is also a 27% peroxide you can get from pool supply places. If yu are in CT, look up a Job Lot store but you might have to wait till the seasonal stuff comes in. 1 gallon bottles of 27% peroxide run between $11 to $15 a gallon. No limit on quantity (at least in Mass).

13. i cover the skull in soping papertowels soaked in the same mixture and let the skull sit wet like that for a day and then take them off and let it dry and they come out pure white