1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dispatching skunks

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Icarus, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

Got a pretty nice high white stinker in the live trap today. I explained to my dad that you take a blanket, approach slowly, then pick up the trap and drown the skunk. Well guess who didn't believe me. Took a .22 and got it through the head from roughly 15 feet away - guess what sprayed.

So the question is, how do you guys take out skunks?

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I've been told if you shoot a .22 through the lungs they don't spray. A skull shot is a guaranteed spray.
    Never tried it but I trust where I got the info.

3. I own a nuisance wildlife control business and catch several hundred skunks each year. Never shoot a skunk, they will almost always spray. There are two ways to dispatch a skunk without worrying about them spraying. I use chloroform to knock them out, if you keep the chloroform on them for too long, it kills them. The other way is to use CO2, much the same as Chloroform. I use Plastic catch traps exclusively when catching skunks which makes it very easy to gas them. Haven't had one spray in one of my traps for years doing it this way.
    Trying to put a blanket over a skunk in a cage trap is going to get you sprayed.

4. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

Skunks seem like awfully complicated critters to kill without getting hosed.

From what I've read, you approach quietly with a blanket, pick up the trap, then drown them. Spent a good portion of the day trying to get the skunk de-stinked and then the house. Oi oi oi. I stick to my 'coons and 'possums.

This one got shot in the head. On the fence if I should skin it and tan it for a wallhanger or see if someone wants it. Pretty skunk. Lots of white.

5. That is exactly what I do cover the trap well with the blanket and slowly walk with it and dump in creek never had one spray me, yet.

6. I get a lot of skunks while trapping fox and coyote. I use a "kill stick". Pretty much no-spray fool proof once you get the hang of it. Basically a pole with a hypodermic needle with about 10ccs of acetone. Most trapping supply houses carry these. Here's a utube video that shows it well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpoVM6HMuIw