1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discarding the humerous

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by josh s., Dec 31, 2013.

1. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Ok, so doing my second standing Canadian...first was ok, but I recall having issues with the humerous bone not setting properly...can I just discard it? Or should I carve the form? I'm still searching the topic, plus in a recent breakthrough they did this with a smaller duck I believe

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

In Taxidermy Today Kail Shumaker, (I know I butchered the spelling of his name)who does a bird mounting section in every issue, throws away the humerus on all his standing birds. I have done it before and it worked OK but I had a little difficulty with getting the anatomy part to look right. It looked skinny as there is no bone and meat replication, so I used fiber fill and caulk to get the dimensions I needed. In his articles he doesn't go into how, or if, he replicates it. I found it easier and get better control to just wire and fold the wing into it's natural place.

3. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Thank you! I'm sticking with leaving it and just carving if I have to!

4. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

I tried removing the humerus years ago with varied results. It was always difficult for Me to get the wing anatomy correct. Than I realized it was the foam body that was causing the issues. So I made my bodies with a deeper socket and I made the sockets closer together by measuring the distance between the joints, and the wings started falling into place. Well not that simple, but if the Humerus is turned in the socket properly there will be a flatter side up and you won't get a hump that hampers wing placement.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Tony is right. Things really will fall into place if the anatomy is correct. I deal with the problem by trimming the projections off of the large end of the humerus but still keeping the full length of it. It isn't essential to do this but the wire takes up some space and this way there is a little bit of extra wiggle room.
    If you skin a bird out very carefully and study the way their shoulder is made, you will see that the sharp edge of the humerus forms a sort of "corner" on their shoulder.
    If you take the time to re-create that, whether with a small amount of clay or whatever, and if the rest of the structure is properly located, you shouldn't have any trouble getting your wings to lay correctly.

Setting the end of the humerus into that shallow little pit that is standard on a lot of forms is going to cause you nothing but trouble unless you modify it first.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I take calipers and measure distance between base of humerous,that is how wide I wrap entire body but full size in profile,like a thick siloette decoy. then after anchoring wings and legs( using entire femur and humerous,timming the large ends) with the skeletal framework in proper position and shape,the side pockets and thighs,shoulders,etc are filled in with batting.when wrapping wings on a stander I wrap with string on;ly and no tow or cotton (only pon flyerrs)

7. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Okay here is the update, i'm not asking for a critique, but of course they are welcome. This was a play bird, it isn't going anywhere but my shop and eventually the trash...lol!!! I don't normally tape in this matter but it was just for the night....i did some grooming the next day to further straighten some of the feather tracks

Attached Files:

8. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Oh, the feet were not injected in this pic!! They are now....sorry about that

9. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Can't really get a feeling about the overall balance of the bird from this pic but it looks off balance from the leg positions. As for as the humerus bone I know there are people that leave them out and I had this conversation with people that I feel are at the top of the class and the response I got was what would you look like if we left a bone out of your arm. With that I leave it all in.

10. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Rich id love to post more pics later...ill try to get some detailed ones...i plan to enter some birds this year so hopefully I can start excelling in this difficult to me category...lol!!

11. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Okay, some better pics and some slight adjustments...

Attached Files: