1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting Deer Head with Running Legs

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drobert60, Dec 31, 2013.

1. drobert60

drobert60 New Member

Hi, I'm not a taxidermist, I am writing for an older gentleman that I know that doesn't use the internet. I meet him for coffee with my husband in the morning. He is agonizing over a project he has. His customer wants the deer head with the 2 front legs in a running position. He got the form for this display. He is agonizing over the getting the hide over the legs. He was thinking that he would slice the hide on the bottom of the legs. He is concerned with seeing the stitches because the hair is not as thick under the legs. Is there a video on the internet or suggestion that could help him with this problem. Thank you in advance...

2. dihard

dihard aim small miss small

i am far fro a pro and this might not be the right way to do it but i did a life size coyote jumping i cut the front legs off the form installed them into the cape and reattached the legs to to form with bondo

3. I cut the legs off and bondo them back on after the skin is on em

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

X2

5. drobert60

drobert60 New Member

He was concerned that since the leg forms have metal in them, that the adhesive won't hold the legs. He is also concerned about the seams showing.

6. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

shouldnt be seems unless he done cut the legs all the way down.

7. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

He probably should have turned down the job till he has a better idea of how to mount; he isn't ready for customers yet. If he bought a manikin he has a supply catalog. He needs to get a mounting dvd or 2.

8. drobert60

drobert60 New Member

Actually, the game commission asks him to do taxidermy for them. He has been doing this work for 30 years. He was taught by a person from a museum. He is very meticulous and doesn't do short cuts. I don't even think that he uses bondo. He just never did this type of mount before.

9. drobert60

drobert60 New Member

Thanks everyone for your posts. I did find a post that would help him called: -- HELP!!! Bondo will not hold form togather This should give him some information that he needs. It was cool of all of you to jump in for a person who is not a taxidermist. :)

10. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Bull butter, he has been doing taxidermy for 30 years and has never mounted any animal with legs.
    WOW that's alot of shoulder mounts! And bondo is used in taxidermy by many folks to hold forms together. As he may have seen in the taxidermy supply catalog that this is the method to bond the two pieces of form together when cut by the supplier for shipping purposes.

11. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I would cut way up in the shoulder area then insert legs then slip onto the form, mix my bondo and apply to the cut area, realign cut and secure with some screws that are around 8inches. Let it kick then do the other side and finish up aligning the cape as normal and get on with it. It isn't rocket surgery ;D

12. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Rocket surgery! Lol

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Sew it, small tight close stitches.

14. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Rocket surgery? LMAO! I have a rocket that needs a wing transplant, anybody know a good rocket surgeon they can reccommend? LOL!