1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

FLY IN DERMESTIDS help please

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Patriottaxedermtbeetles, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Just found a fly in my dermestid colony, I know they can bring mites which kill the colony anyone have any suggestions on what to do?? Thanks a lot

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Dang guy, don't freak out. I have an occasional blow fly get in my colony and lay eggs. When I see maggots, I remove that meat from the colony, freeze it, and place it back in the colony. Beetles will eat dead maggots, but they avoid live ones.

3. Ok thanks. Just getting started and everything says to keep flys away so I was just making sure

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Make a good screen cover for your container. Not sure what you have for housing but if your screen is a flat top, get real fine mesh screen under it or use cloth sheeting. Flies will lay their eggs on the top of the screen. The adult fly will not get in but the eggs fall right through into your beetles.

5. carlabrauer

carlabrauer Quality bone cleaning with dermestid beetles

A good screen and making sure you freeze everything long enough to kill flies before feeding it to your beetles is pretty essential. I'm careful and I still get the occasional small fruit fly looking things in there. I usually squish them as I find them - I think they're so small they creep in through the mesh or where the lid meets their box. So far, the beetles live on. You might consider splitting up your colony and keeping multiple separate beetle bins once you have a good population going in case of a disaster in one.

6. guthook

guthook New Member

It could be your beetles flying. I almost panicked too. I saw flying n my colony. after close watch it was in fact my beetles.

New, but pay attention

7. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

X2 on making yourself a screened top. You'll sleep way better at night knowing the bad things aren't getting, and the beetles aren't getting out….even if they start to fly.

I think it's a little odd that you actually have flies this time of year in Montana tho. LOL! I can't imagine its any warmer there, than it is here in Wisconsin & I haven't seen a fly in months! Anyways, Best of luck!!

8. i am actually using a large chest freezer to house my colony and it has a screen hole in the top but that is covered by a blower that is on a timer which kicks in every few hours for a few minutes which works miricals in keeping the humidity down. The whole thing is outside and it is below freezing all the time so im a little dumbfound about the whole fly thing. Also it happend a day or two after i put a new elk in but i had it burried in snow for a few weeks before i got around to it since i dont have a freezer that will fit a big elk. Not sure what kind of fly it was but i found another one a few days ago crawling around in there so i killed it. But they are pretty big, about as long as a penny, maybe a tad shorter but pretty close. Anyways thanks for the help everyone.

As a side not does anyone know anything about mites or how you get/prevent them???

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If the fly you found looked like a big, hairy house fly, look up "Cluster flies" and see if that is what it was.

Many things will bring mites. High humidity and feeding dry dog food for one. Try not to get them. It's easier. If your colony gets them, look up "Check Mite" strips from apiary / bee keeper supply places.

10. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

I have fly strips handing around my shop and they usually catch the ones that come around before they make it to the bugs