1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Are you ever satisifed with your own personal work?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mikehurt88, Jan 2, 2014.

1. LOL, I need a drugs Habitat scene...

2. Then again DB, I don't cut the nose off, rarely rotate the eye, never used an ear liner and have never competed. I do it for me, and the way I like. I still enjoy it and since it's not a fulltime thing will try to keep it that way. I will raise pricing again next year as it seems to not matter to my customer base much. As I mentioned I stopped taking things this year when I realized it was to much. Still had one customer call after taking a deer on a ranch here, 200" + deer. My dad was guiding him and told him I wasn't taking anymore but he called anyway and after I kept with my decision...he offered me $1,000 to take his buck. :eek: He asked if I did take it, could I have it ready in July. He is out of state and is returning for an exotic hunt then. I would hope that it was that time I put into them, that caused him to do that. At least that is what I like to think. Yes, that deer was the last one I took in. :)

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I've never been pleased with a single piece of taxidermy I've done. Probably never will but ill never quit trying to get there.

4. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

This must be a key element to being an exceptional taxidermist, all of you that have commented put out fantastic work. That gives me a little hope since there's always something that bugs me about every mount I do!!

5. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

I have a deer right now in my freezer I shot 2 years ago that I want to mount but every time I get caught up enough to do it i have a anxiety because i know as soon as I get it mounted and hung on my wall I will pick it apart and not want to look at it. I am curious does anyone else send out their own animals to a different taxidermist for that reason even if the mount will turn out the same quality as you could do?

6. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone glad to see this wasn't just a case with myself

7. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

And I thought I was the only one that felt that way!! I wanted to ask this question a long time ago so mikehurt88 thanks for asking

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

if I ever get to that finish line. that's the day I give it up. which will probably be never.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I HATE everything that goes out, but I try to put more than the norm into it. Last 'anxiety' mount I did was a set of locked antlers that I said I would have ready in 8 months......took me a year and the extra 4 months of patience from the customer. Charged him $2,400 for 2 deer, completely altered & rebuilt the forms without ever breaking the antlers apart & drove myself crazy......I hated it, he walked in and said 'thank God you took the extra 4 months!'......he was freaked out happy :) .....I hate it :)

PS-never won a ribbon, but i'm still higher priced than anybody even close......it's not how good your peers think you are, it's how good your clients think you are ;-)

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Amen brother!!!

11. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

The day you are satisfied with what you do then you may as well quit and find something else to do! Looks like I won't be quitting any time soon

12. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

. Not true mikey, you won a blue ribbon for those skunks you entered a few years ago. So that makes you one of those darn ribbon chasers! LOL! ;)

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

For commercial mounts, there has to be a quality line set so that you do not over do it on the extra touches, that starts costing you rather than making money for you.

14. RTF

RTF Active Member

Which gives me mixed emotions. I feel real guilty sometimes when work goes out the door, work I hate but the customer loves. Sometimes when I think a customer is going to rip me apart on a mount I get a hug and BIG thank you. All I can do is agree with them and not tell them how I really feel.

I had a guy come and get a bass not too long ago. I was super behind on the deadline I had promised him and fiqured this would be the last time he would use me. He loved it and was very happy with it when we talked in the shop. I walked outside with him to his car. We got halfway to his car and he started to freak out and he kept saying OMG, OMG! With his next breath he said the paint job on the bass was the best he ever seen and could not believe all the colors that would reflect from the sun light when he held the bass at different angles. Within one week I got a phone call from him saying he was on his way back with another bass. I was blown away that he came back after I pissed him off so much by being late with his last mount.

15. I can always find fault with my work, Thankfully my customers seldom do

16. Scottyboy

Scottyboy New Member

AZ
    I have never had a mount leave that I was 100% happy with.. I can ALWAYS find faults in my own work.

I do not know a single taxidermist that does not do this to himself.

17. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

I'm with Low T , I'm so satisfied I don't even care anymore......

18. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

You should be satisfied Rick, your whitetails are definitely top shelf.

I guess to answer your question one would have to ask themselves honestly, am I doing this work to make myself happy, or am I working to make others happy?

I've been a wildlife artist all my life and have been driven to capture wildlife in the most realistic way "I" possibly can. My goal in life was, and still is to be a " PROFESSIONAL ". For me, that means doing what I love for a living, producing a professional piece of work " CONSISTANTLY ", in a timely manner, making others happy and in return make money in the process. In this, I am satisfied...

19. DL

DL Well-Known Member

No matter what job I've ever done my motto was it can always be done better and quicker. I was a fleet mechanic for 28 years and you learn how to save steps. Have your shop in order so you don't have to waste time looking for things and tools put away when not in use. I managed a shop during those years and I hated hearing someone say I can't work faster or any better. Work is all about learning new things to improve your life. The day you say I can't improve what I do is the day you fall into mediocrity. You will start hating your job.
    This website is the best tool I have ever found for my work. There are people here that there work can inspire you to learn how to do a more life like mount. The poor guys 30-40 years ago worked in a vaccum . The information just wasn't available like it is now. I guess we ow a big thanks to Al Gore for creating the Internet . Maybe not.

20. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

I'm just being silly Steven , I just like anyone else will ALWAYS have something were not quite satisfied with. If there is someone out there that is satisfied then man ....tell us how that really feels because I don't think I'll ever get to experience that. Thanks for the compliment Stevo'!