1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Am I measuring the eye to nose wrong on this deer? 8 3/4???

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Nick7, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Hey guys,

So i just finished tanning the skin and washed it. I used Krowtann, I got the cape from a friend so i never measured it at the time with it was skinned off the skull..

So this is my questions.

Am i doing something wrong to get 8 3/4? I did not to try and stretch the face in any way just tired to lay it flat on the table.

I'm getting 22 for the neck. I did flesh it down on my fleshing machine and stretch it.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Its very hard to get a correct E-N measurement from a cape like that. Most if not all form manufactures use calibers to measure and mold forms, that's how I take my e-n to order forms. Unless that deer is a 300lb plus 7 year old freak giant headed monster, 8 3/4 is not even close. When capeing it out, I know I would have said that the head seems like its the size of a horse and is usually one of the first things I measure when a customer drops off a big deer. I would say 7 1/2 to 3/4 would be the size I would go with. Besides 8 1/8 is as big as it gets with a neck going out to 28-30 inches.

3. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

I usually always measure the head with calipers and then again when I get my hides back from the tanner and find that almost always the measurement I come up with after tanning(as you have pictured) is longer, even when stretched girth wise well. That being said I don't think that an 8" measurement is out of the question with what you have there

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Fold the nose in and measure to the front of the nostril like you would on a live deer. Still, forget the E/N measurement on a tanned hide. Measure then neck at the Atlas point and order a form accordingly. Very few deer go outside the parameters that sculptors make into today's forms.

5. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Ok thanks guys!!!!

6. verne

verne Well-Known Member

X 2 on the advice George gave you . ;D

7. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, Im not comfortable with some of the points in those answers. E to N is very important, and atlas measurements without an idea of what the frame size is, just is a guess. I know Ill get the rebuttals now, but...

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

It's closer to 8", you have the nose alittle distorted for an accurate measurement.

9. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Understand what your saying Bill . :D

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bill, just for a second, pretend you're a commercial guy who uses Foster forms where the sphincter muscle measurements aren't recorded and tell me what you would be "comfortable" with. The same guys telling me I need all these measurements on a whitetail simply ignore their own advice when ordering ANY OTHER ANIMAL SPECIES. Why isn't it the same for pronghorns, Dall sheep, or wild pigs?

11. Biggest one I have ever measured was 8 1/2 (caliper measurement). I would start with an 8" head and go from there.

12. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I take careful E-N measurements, and if you adjust the nose properly as advised it's probably about 8". That being said, I'm with George on the importance of the atlas measurement. Get a 22" neck form with the closest E-N to what you have. You can work with the face and nose and make a fit, but too much focus on the E-N may get you a form you can't pull the cape over.

13. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If you don't measure the E/N before you skin the head, you may as well just wipe your butt with the measurement.

14. Riverland

Riverland New Member

lots of 8x22 in deer in wi and mn. deer very regionally a lot. not all 21 in deer are the same. my average two year olds are 7 1/2 by 21. a five year old in other parts of the country with 21in neck is a completely different facial structure and frame size on the neck than one from my area.

15. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I just realized Nick7 is from Canada so big framed deer are abundant up there. 8 inch E-N is probably closer to what you need.

16. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

I just finished tanning a cape that i had measured 6 3/4 E-N when it was on the skull. I did the same thing as i did with the bigger one, laid it flat and measured it just to see what i would get. I got just over 7 inches. I also have a 7 1/2 form here and tested fitted the face.. The corner of the eyes end up at least 1/2 to 3/4 past where the corner of the eye starts on the form. So I'm gonna get an 8 inch and if i have to make it bigger i will no big deal. He a picture of the deer.

Attached Files:

17. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

The deer was taken like two weeks later. This picture was taken 2-3 days after he shot him.. I couldn't believe the different sizes of the neck. Almost like it wasn't the the same deer. Could the reason be why the neck shrink so much cuz it died, loose of blood and from hanging?

Attached Files:

18. Could be loss of blood and fluids in general but also a live deer in the cold has "loft" to the hair it stands up or is fluffed up. That gives an animal a bigger appearance also.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

With experience we know that a buck that had a big neck a few weeks ago, and then was shot later with a smaller neck, will let back out to that bigger neck size once processed. The reason I said I wasnt comfortable with some of the answers was, if he is asking that question, a basic one, perhaps he doesnt know all of what some of us we many years experience would know, so I dont assume. Sorry if that got under anyones skin, but I certainly know measurements. The reason we dont have em for sheep and others? Simple...they dont make enough form sizes and they dont offer them!

20. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

A loose fit is what you want. Once you tuck the duct area you will loose a half inch. The deer pictured has a nice block head so the width will pull the eye to nose measurement also. Run down post rut deer, as Bill said.