1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is the greatest things about taxidermy for you?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by rbear, Jan 2, 2014.

1. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

As part of a newyears resolution (see things more positively) What is one positive thing that drives you to keep doing taxidermy?
    I mounted a set of antlers for a special needs young mans first deer for cost. His dad has a cottage halfway to our bear camp that is 12hr drive. He gave me a key to the place to use any time we want. Now we overnight there every time we go bear hunting. Sometimes people can be so thoughtful.

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Money, knowledge, and the pursuit of happiness. Oh my bad. I thought you asked for our wish list. LOL

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

First of all I like being in business. I've only had one actual job my whole adult life. It has its ups and downs but I wouldn't have it any other way. One of the things I love about it is I've had the opportunity to meet some fascinating and interesting people. You get to know people from all walks of life from working men to billionaires. I still enjoy doing taxidermy, it makes you think and challenges you every day.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A frontal lobotomy wouldn't hurt. Nobody else would hire me, so I did and have tried to fire me for the last 25 years.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

The freedom to do what I want when I want and to control my own destiny (whatever that is - lol!). Yes, I'm a control freak! Taxidermy allowed me to see all of my kids grow up and make nearly every one of their sporting events and musical assemblies. Along with having the time and being flexible enough to allow me to also coach for many years. Of course, some of those same things were also drawbacks as well. Being around my kids all the time tended to drive me nuts at times with no adult stimulation. And I'm sure I drove them nuts too! But, I would have to say the freedom and answering to no one were the greatest things about taxidermy for me. Wish I could say I love my job - sometimes I do. But, "love" is pushing it! I "love" my wife and kids. And I "love" hunting and fishing WAY more than I enjoy taxidermy. But, as far as "work" goes, it ain't bad...

P.S. Great answer George!

6. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I love to see peoples faces when they walk in and see their fish. I do everything in my power to go over the top with every mount as well as add in a few extras if possible. I have been doing this over 20 years part time and plan on full time here in a few years. Like everyone I can get discouraged at times but the pros always outweigh the cons. Good post and love your reply George!!

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

The challenge, the determination and the accomplishment. I have met great people as clients, learned to tell the bad ones to eff off & mean it and the people if this industry are the greatest!

The best thing I love about it though is being your own worse critic.... not on mounts, but on the business end. Every year honestly looking where you can improve and change. Implementing those changes and seeing your past mistakes. It gives you confidence..... but also humbles you.

8. intohunting

intohunting Member

AZ
    This forum is one of the greatest things for me. With a simple click of the search button, all of my ?'s are answered. It has helped me immensely. Thanks to all of the contributors for sharing their posts, pictures, and knowledge.

9. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

I look at every mount as a work of art. A frozen moment in time in the life of a being. The cycle of life is a cycle of highs and lows for both man and beast. The beauty of life fades rapidly upon death. To restore that beauty for everyone to enjoy is what drives me. I know deep within that no matter what any judge, customer, or competitor may say I can never fully restore what remains of life to it's original majesty. Buy it is the hope of creating a beautiful work of art that will stir the harts on man long after I have disappeared from this earth.

10. gab

gab Active Member

the challenge of running a business

George,I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.cheers!

11. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I also have been very fortunate to have some great teachers along the way. It's inspiring to work with true artists.
    Ralph

12. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Going on my 5th year I'm yet to figure out why I abuse myself with this madness. Lol

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

The money.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The money, the final product of my efforts, and a happy customer. We are not just taxidermist that mount trophies, we are custodians of our clients most fondest days and memories.

15. x2 you nailed it

16. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I haven't learned to make money with it yet. But, it is my ace up my sleeve, been doing it a long time and I hope to not give up on it. One day, I hope to do it full time and get away from my real job. Don't know if I have what it takes but I'm trying.

It's the beauty of the animals. I tip my hat and praise our Creator for making these wonderful creatures. I think He did it for us. When He put those antlers on their heads He knew man was gonna chase them.

17. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

After all these years I still enjoy the work. I know lots of people that have great jobs and hate them and only live for the days off.

18. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

I love the part time career! I can charge and get my price, work with things that do not talk back and see the improvement of each piece. Gab...I love the bottle in front of me and George...maybe you can fire yourself and draw unemployment for as long as the law allows! I have learned so much from many of you and Michael usually posts the best restaurants in Texas on FB! I wish you all a great 2014! Tim

19. Jerry you nailed it!
    DC

20. joey P Holmes

joey P Holmes New Member

I consider myself a creative person. I love nature and consider it beautiful beyond words. Yet not everyone gets to see nature up close. I want to share that beauty.

As a teen I saw my first Passenger Pigeons and Carolina Parakeets thanks to a taxidermist. I stood close to Giant Pandas, Gaurs, the greatest fish on the planet, beautiful birds from all continents, giant crocodiles from the other side of the world. I knew I might not ever see these animals alive and wild but I was still inspired just to be that close to them. I had a great respect and gratitude for those taxidermist. Someone else thought they were beautiful and used their skills and talents to preserve and share that beauty. A big thanks goes out from me to the taxidermist from the Smithsonian.

As a business, it's rough. I admire those who can succeed and even thrive. That was never the case for me, but succeed and thrive, struggle and quit, whatever. I appreciate anyone who does good work and brings the beauty of nature inside, to share with others.