1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Forgot to Salt

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bones88, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Bones88

Bones88 Duthill Tanners

Ok well I forgot to salt the hide before putting it in the pickle, what will happen now? I know I would normally get a lot of fluid but I just simply forgot. Your advice would be helpful thanks

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The pH of the pickle will go high on you real fast. You better double the pickle size asap and watch the pH frequently. The pickle will be a yucky color, and the skin will be smelly now all the way through mounting because of the bodily fluids are now part of the pickle.

3. Bones88

Bones88 Duthill Tanners

Can I take it out of the pickle and salt it now?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Yes.

5. Bones88

Bones88 Duthill Tanners

I only put it in the pickle an hour ago and then remembered we usually salted them first. Thank you for your help I wasn't sure what to do and as always I can the answers here. Thanks :)

6. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

Bones88 - as long as you have everything turned and fleshed well it is no big deal. Just keep stirring the hide a couple of times a day and checking the ph until it stabilizes and you'll be okay. I generally salt all my deer BUT if I have one that is borderline and/or "iffy", I will skip the salting and get it into the pickle right away. My coyotes, foxes, and other animals with very thin skin, I never salt but split, turn, flesh and put them in straight in the pickle. I know some one here will slam me for that but that's okay. I have never lost a PROPERLY handled animal due to not salting it.

7. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

That is right Mark in IL a properly handled skin does not need to be salted, I never salt unless I am going to store the skins, salting is in the pickle.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Salting is always recommended, even when some will never do it.

9. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

i have a dvd were Bill Atkins fleshes a wt cape and doesn't do anything but borax and mount it, is that ok? he says he done it for many years.

10. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

That's fine if that's the kind of taxidermy you want to do. And now, off to the races!! Here we go!!

11. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Salting is not needed for specimens that are being mounted....for fine fur dressing that may be another story.....

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have tanned with out salting, Salting only one day, salting until semi hard, and salted hard as a rock. Honestly, I have not noticed a difference in the final product. I salt until they are hard almost all the time just because they can be stored that way while other capes are in the pickle and like Low T said, it is generally considered the standard.