1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

removing scales for gator leather???

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by 00buckshot, Jan 4, 2014.

1. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

I'm looking for the best way to remove gator scales to make a softer leather any ideas?

2. Don't salt first, just soak in plain water for about a day until the scales start to slip, then proceed with your tanning. This will not affect the quality of your leather, short of using expensive chemicals, this has always worked for me.
    DC

3. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Thank's for the info but an outfitter brought me three hides that have been sitting in a walk in cooler for a week and they weren't frozen, so the first thing I did was salt them and roll them to dry. I don't mind spending money on chemicals if It gives good results. What chemicals do I need to purchase and where do I purchase them from?

4. Hydrated lime works good on releasing scales, mix according to directions and soak until loose, remember to soak only enough to get the scales to start separating and then neutralize, then continue on with your tanning. Most taxidermy supply companies sell lime, let me know how your skins come out.
    DC