1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Styrofoam snow

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by nehunter88, Jan 6, 2014.

1. nehunter88

nehunter88 New Member

Grating down some Wal Mart Styrofoam to make some snow.

Is there any secret to get it to stay in place and not cling to everything?

I tried holding the Styrofoam ball and rasp inside a bag and hope to keep it in place, but it still seems to go everywhere, and clings to everything.

2. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

good luck in your pursuit!

3. nehunter88

nehunter88 New Member

LOL, I take that as a no.

4. fireduck

fireduck Member

Elmers glue paste it on then apply snow, then dry , base layering after that! AND PATIENCE!!

5. You can order a whole box of it all ready to use from Research Mannikins and it's inexpensive.

6. nehunter88

nehunter88 New Member

To hold it I used some Locktite spray adhesive and it seemed to work pretty good. I even did multiple layers with it, though I'd lose a little loose stuff each time I sprayed again. I misted some 50/50 Elmers and water over one of them when done to hold everything in place. I'd have to say I liked the looks of it better before the final glue, but I knew I had to have that on top to insure everything stayed in place.

My biggest problem was during the grating process and trying to keep it on the table and not clinging to everything including grater, hands, and clothes.

If I can buy a box of it, I'm definitely going to check in on that.

7. nehunter88

nehunter88 New Member

Here's what I've been experimenting on. Since I was just playing around I used rattle can foam on OSB. Held it down some with clear plastic, and while still tacky I took off the plastic and added dirt. A few days later I decided to experiment with making snow, so I put the snow over the dirt. Except on one I only covered part of it. I also stuck down a few leaves on the snowy side and put snow over them.

There are yellow pushpins in both because I plan to use the same antler on whichever one I decide to use. So the pins are there to insure I get the antler in the right place when the time comes. In both cases my plan is a weasel standing to the right of the antler, front feet resting on the main beam. He will be looking at the left side where a mouse will be sitting.

I should add, they are about 15 inches long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Order crystal clear 200 from smooth on. It is a two part kit . Mix it and then add the snow powder from Research to a paste, spread it on and sprinkle on a little glitter. It will dry in about 30 minutes. It dries hard, it is dustable and even washable it is extremely realistic, and worth its expense. In my opinion, everything else that I have ever seen is garbage in comparison.

9. nehunter88

nehunter88 New Member

I've seen the crystal clear in the catalog, thanks. I knew the biggest problem I'd have with my snow is cleaning down the line, and I didn't think the 50/50 Elmers was going to be the answer. Plus I didn't want to cover it in glass.

Right now everything is an experiment to see what I can do and what works. Figure I'd do my experimenting on something not quite as important or something I can change later.