1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why do tanneries insist on tumbling wet tans?!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Jan 7, 2014.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Get tired of it! Last year I sent 50 capes to try a big tannery and damn near had to break their arm in order to get them to understand.....DO NOT TUMBLE MY WET TANS! They listened on 95% of them!

Bought a wet tanned mule deer 2 weeks ago from another taxidermist, open it up Saturday to mount & there is the skin sucked up with saw dust. I had to use a frigging water hose like a pressure washer to break the fibers.

If I wanted something tumbled I'd dry tan it..... why do people tumble freaking wet tans..... especially when instructed not to! LOL

2. Riverland

Riverland New Member

unless you tell them don't oil them also it is to clean the excess oil off the skin. kind if like sending a deer head out the door without finish work.

3. AKwilder

AKwilder Member

Try working with a large bison cape that is wet tanned and not tumbled. Weighs a couple hundred pounds.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I have..... numerous times. Hang on wench, drain, mount & then shampoo with baby shampoo, blow dry and done.

5. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Your telling me! I hate dealing with that stuff all over the cape!

6. That's why I love dealing with Arlington Cape, very clean skins and great stretch

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. X 10 on Arlington cape . Its the there method not that wet tans shouldnt be tumbled. I wouldnt want one that wasn't tumbled---but I wouldn't want one like you describe either !

8. Big Tine

Big Tine have a great day

Arlington cape does damn good work.and Kieth is a great guy.

9. Doesn't the wench scream and holler?

10. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Just me I guess, but I really like the wet tans that I get that have been tumbled and the hair is 95% dry. Less mess when mounting, less shrinkage because there is less moisture in the skin, and no need to shampoo and blow dry because the hair is very clean and smells great.

11. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

That is my take on it too. I hate wet tans that aren't tumbled. But I like working with semi-dry skins too, and I never have to shampoo my skins which means less time involved. Yes, they take a little more muscle to break them up but I would rather that than deal with a wet skin. Everybody has their own preferences.

12. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

Alot of tanneries tumble in wood flour or saw dust and then tumble the hide in a caged drum to get all the sawdust off the hide. Sounds like those capes were not tumbled in a cage.

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Why not spin em out in an extractor?

14. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

The Wildlife Gallery tumbles all my wet tans and they are as clean as a dry tan, no crap in the ears on the skin side at all.