1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mule Deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by True Texan, Jan 7, 2014.

1. True Texan

True Texan Member

Working on my first mule deer. I didn't get measurements cause my buddy who gave me the horns already had it caped and antler plate off. The position of the antlers look correct to me but the top of the antler plate looks extremely high and forward. What do yall think? And how[​IMG]

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

I would cut about like this.

Attached Files:

• new.JPG
      new.JPG
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

First off, let the cape help you. Slide it on and see how the cape lines up around the burrs. You shouldn't have to force it.

When you do this, you're going to find that you need to cut the front skull plate across the narrowest point. (Wish I could do the little red lines on my phone) In other words move it forward.

Then lower the skull cap as well, and test fit until it fits nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG] Cut it so the top of the skull is parallel to the wood on your form.

5. antlers are set way to far forward. I agree with let the cape tell you where to cut the skull cap. More times than not the underside of the antler burr to the back of the eye socket is between 1.25- 1.50 inches. there are exceptions but that's something I have found on mule deer at least.

6. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Good advice deerslayer! Next time though measure the area deerslayer mentioned and then measure tine tips to a center place of nose pad for an exact placement and angle of skull cap. Then you might want to measure again from the same area, to bottom of the ear butt to conferm the height to the form.

jeff

7. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

??? Do you see the beginning of the eye orbit on his skull cap? It's not a mystery. Just hold a skull next to a form and see where the anatomy lies.

8. Alamo Man

Alamo Man New Member

Where do you live in Texas?

9. True Texan

True Texan Member

I live about an hour south of Houston down 59. I've reset the antler plate but still have to fill in but the form fits to the plate better. What do yall think?
    [​IMG]

10. True Texan

True Texan Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. quest

quest Member

Utah
    It still looks like the antler are tilted forward. My personal opinion drop the back down a little. It should be a nice even flow from the eye socket through the antlers.

12. True Texan

True Texan Member

Thanks for the help.

13. quest

quest Member

Utah
    Sent you a PM

14. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

They are tilted way to far forward. I've heard it many times at competitions that there should be a straight line from nostrils/center of eye/beams when looking from the side. I have found many exceptions to this rule but it's never too far off a straight line. From where you are now, it looks like they need to drop at least 1/2" in the back. It almost looks like the head it too big for those antlers as well? There is an excessive amount of space from back of skull cap to back of form, even more so once you drop the back down more. I will bet that you are going to have a lot of alignment issues back there.

15. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Forget trying to make the little curve on the forehead of the form match the curve on the skull plate, its just the way the form was sculped, doesn't mean its right and will match all antler skull plates. On most deer the main beams will follow the muzzle of the deer. Tilt them back more then add clay to make a nice transition from form to skull plate.