1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer hunting in WV??

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by AJH, Jan 8, 2014.

1. AJH

AJH Member

Sorry Guys and Gals for a hunting post, but wanted to reach out to my fellow taxidermists for help. I would like to expand my deer hunting into WV, not far over the PA/MD line. I have been looking online for resources and resources are thin. The DCNR site gives some info on public hunting grounds, but I was looking for more. Any information, resources or websites would be appreciated? This is my first time venturing out of PA, so this is new to me. Thanks Again AJ

2. buckrub10

buckrub10 Active Member

go to md instead more deer and lots of public ground , liberal limits

3. AJH

AJH Member

Thanks. MD season overlaps with PA. My reason for WV is that is a dead week in PA. It's between my PA Archery and Rifle seasons. Thanks

4. Ridge Runner1960

Ridge Runner1960 New Member

hardy county has GW national forest, nathanial mountain public hunting area is in nearby hamshire county, short mountain has public hunting, just to the west of that is the jefferson and monogahelia NF, just a few ideas, let me know ya wanna hunt and I can give you a guest card to grace properties, 11,600 acres of private land in Hardy County

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

There's tons of public land. For decades I hunted the Monangahela National Forest in the panhandle. I hunted Dolly Sods.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

The lame PA "One buck only" crap gets old... Get one in bow season and you are benched for gun and muzzleloader..

Look at the Coopers Rocks State Forest area and the WVU University Forest. Coopers is still huntable as far as I know and the WVU forest was once open to hunting but I couldn't find anything on their website about hunting. You'll have to contact them and find out.. It's been 30 some years ago..

7. AJH

AJH Member

Great, Thanks for the replies and the good advice guys. AJ

8. Bow Man

Bow Man New Member

Theres stonewall Jackson lake in lewis cnty and Bursville lake in Braxton cnty both about 1 1/2 hrs from morgantown

9. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

There are 4 counties in Southern WV that are bowhunting only. Wyoming, McDowell, Logan, and Mingo. They all produce big bucks every year and your best bet is to get on a lease. There aren't many shortcuts because most of the leases will have a member cap but there are online forums that will help you narrow down a hunting area. Southern Rush Outdoors and WV big bucks on FB may be a tool you can use to find a productive lease.

I'm originally from Wyoming County and my brother is trying to get us on a lease on the moment. It can be painful but the efforts will be worth it.