1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lifesize mannikin

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mcking, Jan 8, 2014.

1. mcking

mcking Member

Im working on a mountain lion,, the mannikin i got was somewhat near the measurments of my skin. i had to do some shaving on the mannikin to get the girth to fit. my question is on the Length... the mannikin's length is 45,,, and i measureed the skin's length around 55,, give or take. so 8-10 inches difference on the lengthSO my question is,, since i got the girth fitting after shaving the mannikin down. Should i add some to the length?? i test fitted the skin and everything fits well, of course theres some extra skin,, but that could be taxi'd. im just having issues figuring if i should add to the length... if i was to add to the length i would not add 8-10 inches, because i would like some extra space- as ive learned to never go the exact length of the skin; always smaller. but on this one im just not sure if some length would be needed?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with the last bobcat I did. I needed to add 6" to the length. I added one inch to the thighs, One inch to the neck, one inch to the shoulders, one inch behind the shoulders, one inch in the belly, and one inch between the belly and the thighs. I got the proportions I needed by breaking it up like that, while getting the length I needed. I don't know if it is right or wrong, it's just the way I did it to get the nose to tail measurement.

3. mcking

mcking Member

hmmmm,,,, well on this lion i had to Take Off on the girth, arms, legs, shoulders, neck, thighs. Just dont know if i should add about 5 inches to the length. or leave it....

4. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

This might help http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,334020.0.html

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I didn't answer correctly. I only added a quarter inch in the thighs and shoulders and 1 1/2 inches behind the shoulders , 1 1/2 in front of the thighs and 1 1/2 inches in the mid belly and 1 inch in the neck. I, too, had to TAKE OFF the girth in those areas, except the thighs and shoulders, and I also had to ADD THE LENGTH to get the proper sizing measurements. It was a very long, skinny cat. If you don't want to change the shoulders and thighs then take your inches in the body.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If you add all the length in one spot at the belly, you will have a weiner cat.

7. I think I would stretch the girth as wide as possible ,, the entire length of the cat and re-measure. Then check the length. If your cat is 10" longer than the form, it would seem odd that you would need to shave girth from the form. Or like T said,, the body length will be out of proportion.

8. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

I agree with Dakota! You should have worked on stretching the girth. By doing so it would have shortened the length.....CONSIDERABLY!

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Are all the legs the correct length? If so, then proportionally the body should be close and you need to work on girth as was stated. If you add 8-10" in length, but all the legs stay the same length, you are really messing with proportions.