1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cleaning beetle 'cage'??

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Patriottaxedermtbeetles, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Never cleaned out my beetle chest freezer. I would like to but I'm wondering if it helps they're health, if anybody has a good method, or if it's needed. Thanks!:)

2. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I have only done it a few times, took a skull and put it in a small tote, as the beetles got in there to feed I would dump it into a bucket I kept in the tank for a few days as I collected as many as I could. Once they were not showing up on the skull any more, I used a dust pan and scooped all the frass out into another large tote, this was then frozen and dumped. Doesnt help their health much, but the tank was clean and smelled better, just replace the bedding and dump your beetle bucket back in. You will notice a slow down as you just killed probley half your numbers as there is no way you can get them all out, but they will rebound fast.

3. guthook

guthook New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlkJY_KKBJ4 I found this helpful on cleaning. Though I haven't done it yet. I have a better idea of how I will.

Paul

4. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

I use a larger clear plastic tote for my colony. When I clean mine, I purchase the same kind of tote and put new bedding material in it. I'll grab a random skull from the freezer and place it in the new tote and attach the lid on it. I'll then take the tote with the beetles in it and place it directly on top of the new one. Then I grab my drill and drill 4 or 5 1" hole's through the bottom of the colony tote and through the lid of the new one. Leave it sit for few days and the majority of the bugs will fall through the holes. Then I toss the old one when I don't see any more activity.

5. Thanks guys that helps a lot my chest freezers are outside and the family is still complaining about the smell haha i think i will use the dogs method scince i have large chest freezers, THANKS