1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eastern Fox Squirrel Face

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Fallofthewild, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

Hello everyone,

I'm preparing to mount a fox squirrel that I shot a few weeks ago and have encountered a bit of an issue.

I'm wrapping my own body as I have a particular pose that I'm going for but I'm having trouble with the face -particularly the mouth. I've got the lips and such all split and I've made a decent head-manikin for the mount but I'm torn about the teeth; I've incorporated them into the head but when I test-fit the hide, it simply doesn't look right. I can't put my finger on it but it just looks weird.

I've been looking at other manikins and I see that many lack teeth. Teeth or no teeth? I've seen some folks (on this site) insisting that all rodents always show some tooth and I tend to agree, however, I see some photos of E. Fox Squirrel that appear to show a very limited amount of tooth. Can you get away with mounting a Fox Squirrel with no tooth showing?

Does anyone have any tips on creating a natural-looking mouth on a squirrel/rodent? I searched the past forum-posts and can't seem to find anything. If there is such a post, I'll gladly delete this one and direct my attention there.

I'd really love it if someone knew where I might find a photo of a squirrel head manikin with teeth installed.

Thanks for your time everyone, either way!

D.J.

2. I hope you get a reply... I'm curious on the same thing only mine is open mouthed and I was looking for suggestions on real teeth fake teeth etc?

I know on my other squirrels which were very early on I did them closed but let it open a bit in the center and simply put a dash of epoxy sculpt there and painted it.

3. In the future perhaps you can cut the skull at the nose, and just before the teeth on the bottom jaw, so it's still attached to the skin. And then you can saw off the front of the mannikin head and attach with epoxy or something?

Or use the whole skull, cleaned?

I hope that makes sense

4. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

In my opinion the teeth don't show much if at all. If you want to cheat ( not that I've ever done it, OK all the time) the old nut in the mouth trick works every time. Just say'n. OK I'm ready for the fourth grade joke but it works. ;D

5. Fallofthewild

Hahaha yea I considered that idea. It would be better than ... Nut-thing (ba-dum- pshhhh)

I kinda want to try without the nut. Maybe I'll try without the teeth at all and see how it looks when I test-fit. I appreciate the advice! I'll post a few pics when I get it done!

6. Fallofthewild

Inari, I used the skull for reference and still could potentially use the skull to make the head. My biggest challenge is the shape of the lips...

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have lots of pictures of squirrels where the teeth don't show at all and tons where the teeth show very, very little. To me, it's not worth all the work, when no teeth showing is accurate according to reference pics.

8. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

once saw a squirrel open mouth carved foam head with the teeth also carved and painted from the same block of foam actually really looked good. just an idea? post pictures when your done.

9. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

I've studied a lot of squirrels and the only teeth I've ever really seen are the bottom ones that work in kinda a scrapping motion to work something open or grab it with the mouth.

10. Did you turn the lips? If so, you should be able to add clay underneath the whisker beds and and it helps work the mouth. Maybe post some photos? :) And I agree with AnnaG, I also have pet rats and have had other rodents, you only see the bottom teeth usually!