1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint on skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by guthook, Jan 10, 2014.

1. guthook

guthook New Member

Ok, After the weeks of prep, I was touching up the base of the antlers on a skull I'm working on. Though I am fairly new to the beetles and maceration, I have done a LOT of research about it. and no has noticed that I have touched up the bases and burrs. Well, this time I have gotten a little paint just below the burrs. I tried using lacquer thinner nothing. Over night soak in Baquacil, nothing. even sanded some. just lightened it a little. It seems to be pretty soaked in.

After reading past threads it appears I will have to touch up with paint. I am using acrylic paints. Tried oils when practicing on sheds, just never dries. My question is, the white to use? I have titanium white, but not so sure I want to just go putting thin coats of it as I'm positive it will soak in. So, I'm kind of at an OH D&MN point at the moment.

Thanks in advance. This forum is amazing!!!!

Paul

2. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

What were you using to touch up the antlers? The acrylic paint you mentioned? Stain? PP? Try everything possible to get it out before you start throwing paint on it. Let it sit in straight acetone for a week or so. See what that does...

3. guthook

guthook New Member

Well, as impatient as I am, I touched it up with the white. I use acrylics on the antlers also. I did it in several light coats until it was gone, and o believe the blending and fading came out pretty well. Now, I have to touch up the bases again, more CAREFULLY of course. Ill post a picture when I'm done. Y'all can pick it apart ;D

Paul

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Either completely wrap/cover the skull with something or work with it upside down so nothing drips on the bone. You can also check into the white paint from the Dollar Store. Cheap and thin so it soaks into the bone.

5. guthook

guthook New Member

Seawolf I did wrap it. put masking tape, the plastic and taped again. it somehow got past the "edge protection"....lol. I did you a white, and it came out really good o think. it took a while before I was able to breath again, but all is well I believe........I REALLY DO APPRECIATE YLLS ADVICE ON HERE. ill put a picture when I figure out how.

Paul

6. Sea Wolf

Good pics are easy. Set up a free photobucket account. Put links to pictures here. You will either have a link here to click on to see the pic or the pic will actually show here depending on how you put up the link.

7. guthook

guthook New Member

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/phwfbd55/Mobile%20Uploads/9C8BE2DB-FD54-48AD-927B-F48F039FCDA2_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I hope this worked. The spot that was in question was under the deer's right burr. there was some brown there, and the black below that where I attempted to lightly sand it some. (the sand paper was black) Like I said I believe it looks ok. My girlfriend stays on me cause she says it will never be good enough for me. Not always a bad thing I don't guess.

well, this is the final product. antlers touched up, mess up fixed, and matte finish. lighting isn't the best but its the best for tonight.

Paul ;)

OH, and just notice there is an attachment place on here......

8. Sea Wolf

You are getting close. If you use the "Preview" it brings you to the more advanced way to post. If you click on the [​IMG] it will automatically place a img and /img contained in [] and your blinking cursor will be in the middle. Paste in your .jpg URL in the middle and it should show as a picture. What I do when looking at the pic in Photobucket is to right click on it and "View Image" (or whatever your right click menu says). What you want is the URL link that ends in .jpg. Not the html one.

[​IMG]