1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pig Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by bitbit, Jan 10, 2014.

1. bitbit

bitbit New Member

I am very new to skull cleaning and have a question about the pig skull I just took out of the beetle tank. It appears to be damaged and I'm wondering if the damage is caused by something I did. I noticed the jaw was a little bit shattered as I was removing some of the flesh but figured I had just been too rough with it. I did not notice the damage shown in the picture until after I removed it from the beetle tank. I'm not sure what I could have done that would have caused this? There was another piece of bone fragment that came off of the area that I will try to glue back on. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Attached Files:

• pig.jpg
      pig.jpg
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
  2. That looks to be more like a gunshot...

3. bitbit

bitbit New Member

I thought so too but the skull came with the hide on it and there didn't appear to be a gunshot wound.

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Contact the customer and tell them it looks like there was some damage due to a gun shot and ask if they want you to repair or leave it as it is. It's not difficult to repair something like that, but you should charge for it.

5. bitbit

bitbit New Member

I'm the customer in this situation, lol. I think it looks kind of cool how it is, was just worried it was a result of something I had done wrong.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Nope. Beetles won't do that. This could also be an old injury that the wound healed over or possibly an abscess. The the head look entirely normal before you started work on it? There is blood staining in the bone there which indicates an injury of some type.

7. torilockart

torilockart New Member

Definitely looks like an injury on the animal.

8. bitbit

bitbit New Member

Sea Wolf-- It looked totally normal when it came in the mail but I noticed when I was cleaning it up that the tip of the jaw bone that would fit right there by the eye was chipping. Will the black part whiten with peroxide?

9. AH7

AH7 New Member

Careful! If there is metal in that wound then it will react with the peroxide. If you use the standard 3%, it won't be dangerous - though it will heat up and you should stop with the peroxide. If you use stronger stuff like many of us do, then a stray bullet could end in disaster. Read the post pinned to the top of this forum.

If there is not metal in there, then the degreasing and whitening should clean it up fine. I prefer skulls with some character like that, so don't fret too much.

Good luck.

10. I'd say it was shot too. I'd paste it white and wouldn't risk it.

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. What is that dark colored spot? Is it an imbedded bullet fragment? Try 3% to start with or the paste method with the stronger 40 VOL. If you can get it lightened up, what is there might become more visible.

12. Customers seem to be notorious for bringing in pig heads that have bullets in them. Many times, if shot with a .22 (usually while the pig is in a trap) you won't notice any damage until the skull is skinned. Even then, a lot of them won't show damage until the meat is gone. Usually after a nice lengthy degreasing, you can see most fragments left in the bone. If it is a .22lr, you are only dealing with lead. Anything else you could have copper jacket bits wedged in there. I always use paste peroxide on pigs just to be safe yet I have yet to see any reaction on a pig head from a bullet fragment. Alligators are another head that will have bullets lodged in them. Just always err on the side of caution. Also, if you are wanting to glue the broken bits back in, on a pig you will have to really get the grease out for any adhesive to take. I have done several repairs for heads to be dipped and even bondo can come loose from a pig skull if it has any grease on it. Good luck with it, pig heads look really good when they are finished.

13. bitbit

bitbit New Member

Thanks for all of the input, everyone! Good to know about the peroxide. Does anyone have an estimate of how old this pig was, based on the teeth?

Attached Files:

14. He was young, I am not too sure how to age them but he is a young'en

15. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

I'm sure you can find somewhere that states the age when the last molar erupts in domestic pigs.

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

No telling other than young, but pigs grow fast so I'd guess a year.